Visual C++ VS C++ Builder

Started by
27 comments, last by uray 20 years, 8 months ago
is there anyone that building game with C++ Builder??!! why always Visual C++,what the advantage of VC++ beside C++ Builder??, i think C++ Builder have all functionality as VC++ and with some improvement for ease of programming!
Uray L. Meiviar
Advertisement
I have worked with the Borland C++ Builder and think the main target of this compiler is to let you write applications that require a user interface a lot more quickly. It's also a lot easier to use then MFC for that task.

But if you want to write a game, you usually don't need all of that gui stuff. Plus the code completion of Visual C++ worked a lot better (faster!) for me, combined with Visual Assist it's a dream. I also found the way to handle different project files in Visual a bit easier.

Edit: Oh, and sure the C++ Builder has the same (basic) functionality as any other C++ Compiler. It compiles C++ code. It just happens to add a lot of nifty features, that are sadly of little use to games.

[edited by - Wildfire on July 25, 2003 1:50:19 PM]
How do I set my laser printer on stun?
i know C++ Builder on Game Development not really need to use VCL or GUI stuff,but its class library (T*)is really help, like
TMemoryStream,TFileStream,TList,TTree,TStack,TQueue,TBitmap,TTimer etc. then combine with Win32 Library it will be more complete than VC++ with easier...
Uray L. Meiviar
I have used C++Builder for small games and it worked great. However, they were the type of games that required a GUI and I was also able to use several components it offers. It has its place just like every other compiler. You can turn items off and build games just like in VC++ and use the more visual features to your advantage. If that''s what you like, it works. It is kind of hard to not use VC++ with Visual-Assist though as it is quite a productive pair. I also use WndTabs Extended in VC++.
Elvis said: You can't rent a Priscilla, but you can lease-a-Marie!
so can anybody tell me what is weakness of C++ Builder than Visual C++
Uray L. Meiviar
Concerning TList, TTree, TStack etc... take a look at the STL. That''s part of the C++ standard, and offers all of those + a lot more.
TMemoryStream, TFileStream... look up std::string std::iostream, std::stringstream etc...

I can''t think of a build in TTimer class for VC++ (maybe MFC has one?), but I think there''s more then enough libraries for those out there.

Oh! One point against Borland Builder: Try finding a .lib for it... like say opengl.lib glu.lib etc... a lot more difficult then for VC++.
then C++ Builder can use STL too! it will add more libarary!
Uray L. Meiviar
Not entirely. Since TList and std::list are most likely the same, you just get the same thing twice.
And you''ll have trouble porting your code, if you use non standard things like TList. (Same goes for MFC or other MS specific stuff of course).
OK,that''s just one example,i think there''s a lot of C++ Builder Library that is not same to MFC Library...

now how about Speed and FileSize???
(just want to know,because i never write on VC++)
Uray L. Meiviar
Actually because Builder is based on Delphi (Pascal) most of the Builder specific stuff is written in Pascal. They include a lot of the code for the controls and most of it is in Pascal.

[edited by - Kestrel on July 25, 2003 5:26:27 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement