Capturing Key combinations

Started by
7 comments, last by Ranthalion 20 years, 8 months ago
Hey guys, I''ve been working on this program for a couple of weeks. I have a keyboard hook and I would like to be able to catch the key combination Ctrl+Alt+L with it. I''ve tried this by using:

KBDLLHOOKSTRUCT *hooked=(KBDLLHOOKSTRUCT *)lParam;

if ((hooked->vkCode==0x4C && hooked->flags & LLKHF_ALTDOWN) && (hooked->vkCode==VK_RCONTROL||hooked->vkCode==VK_LCONTROL))
			{
				SendMessage(hWndMain, HM_LPRESSED, NULL, NULL);
				return 1;
			}
It seems that vkCode can only have one key being pressed. How should I rephrase this, so it sends the message when Ctrl+Alt+L is pressed?
Advertisement
simple way : USE DIRECT INPUT!!!
Uray L. Meiviar
Shouldn''t the control button be in the flags structure?
I had hoped it was, but only alt is in the the struct flag.

Nevermind, I found a way. I'm using :
GetAsyncKeyState (VK_CONTROL) >> ((sizeof(SHORT) * 8) - 1);

Gives me true if ctrl is pressed, then I can just add that to the test I had above.
Thanks

[edited by - Ranthalion on July 25, 2003 2:55:26 PM]
you don''t need a keyboard hook. just call RegisterHotKey for the required combination and you''ll get a WM_HOTKEY msg when the sequence is keyed. works for almost all key combinations.
btw, the low-level keyboard hook does give you control key up and down events, not flags. you have to track the control key up/down sequences yourself. the virtual-key codes are VK_LCONTROL and VK_RCONTROL. the Alt key is tracked via a separate flag since it has special meaning to the system (menu activation, window manager activation, task window, etc.)
I have newbie question about input; which has more overhead, directInput, or the Win32 API?
I''m not sure on this, but I would think that Direct Input has more overhead. But again, I''m not sure.

I need more than just a hot key because my hook also handles Alt+Tab, the Windows buttons,and Ctrl+Esc, stuff like that. I also need to be able to capture the key sequence when my program isn''t active or showing.
It didn''t work... Does anyone see any reason this would not perform appropriately?

#define KEYISDOWN(x) (GetAsyncKeyState(x) & 0x8000 ? true : false)KBDLLHOOKSTRUCT *hooked=(KBDLLHOOKSTRUCT *)lParam;if ((KEYISDOWN(VK_CONTROL) && KEYISDOWN(0x4C)) && hooked->flags & LLKHF_ALTDOWN)     MessageBox(NULL, "Ctrl+Alt+L pressed", "Buttons", MB_OK);

I''m having the hardest time just trying to be notified if Ctrl+Alt+L is pressed in my Low Level Keyboard Hook.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement