[java] GUI in Java

Started by
3 comments, last by rohde 20 years, 8 months ago
I don't know if this is a crazy idea or what, so bear over with me, here goes... All right, I know Java, and I know the Win32 API. And although Swing and AWT are okay for my needs I've been thinking about doing some kind of GUI framework (just for the fun of it) in Java based on the Win 32 API. Is that at all possible, maybe by using JNI? (I've never used JNI so forgive my ignorance if I'm way off here ). As mentioned I'm not sure if this can be done at alle - if not, maybe by some other way? Thanks. -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. [edited by - rohde on July 26, 2003 7:36:02 AM]
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
Advertisement
Well, if you are doing it out of need then first check out IBM/Eclipse''s SWT.

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/~checkout~/platform-swt-home/main.html

It''s a gui framework that uses native components much like AWT, but (on the Windows platform) is far, far superior (just run eclipse itself to see how nice it is). It''s not so great under other OSes at this time.

If you''re doing it as a challenge, then I''d still say check out SWT and see how they did it for some clues, also check out AWT''s source code.
Thanks a lot. I will check it out.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
I''d have to say that the only real reason to do this would be for the challange. And since you said you''re doing it "just for the fun of it," it''s all good

The Artist Formerly Known as CmndrM

http://chaos.webhop.org
quote:Original post by Strife
I'd have to say that the only real reason to do this would be for the challange. And since you said you're doing it "just for the fun of it," it's all good

Exactly It would be futile to do it if I was in need of something like that right now. Especially after I've looked at SWT. That's sweet

I've just always thought that it would be fun to do such a project. I'll see. Right now I'll just study SWT closer to check out how they designed it.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.

[edited by - rohde on July 26, 2003 11:11:47 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement