Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seriema

what cross-platform input library?

Hi! Me and some friends are going to write a simple RPG. We've already done one before (never finished though) completely in DX, we didn't like that API. So this time we chose to do the graphics in OpenGL and the sound in OpenAL. We're striving for a cross platform game So our problem now is: what input library should we use? Some alternatives we've come across so far: ¤ OpenIL: saw it on sourceforge.net, this would be great if they only had released something... ¤ SDL: how good is it to only use it for input? ¤ GLUT: would be good because it creates a window for us too. ¤ QT: great for tools, but games? ¤ Make our own wrappers. So far using GLUT might be good, but it's so C oriented (need static functions for callbacks) and uses callbacks which aren't that fast? Well speed isn't that important, but we're no optimize-wizards so we'll try to save everything we can. Any other tips? What would you use for input (and window creation?) on multiple platforms (Win, Linux, Mac)? "No lies of sugar can sweeten the sournes of reality" }+TITANIUM+{ A.K.A. DXnewbie[onMIRC] [edited by - Seriema on July 26, 2003 10:43:20 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
SDL should work fine. You can even use it to initialize the graphics system if you want to, since it can work with openGL.

Provided that :

- SDL is better than GLUT for "big" applications (IMO).
- SDL is much more game-oriented than QT.
- SDL works well, unless you need force feedback (by the way I''ve never seen any cross platform input API which handles it, does anyone have ?). But since you''re working on a RPG, I suppose that force feedback isn''t important.

...I''d choose SDL too.