How to make a tile-based map editor

Started by
4 comments, last by Darkor 23 years, 9 months ago
I''m planning to make a game by first developing user friendly software that enables users to make missions/campaigns/stages and include scripted events (requiring scripting languages). Is it wise to start with doing this? Maybe, I might be doing the map editor first then including the script editor as an add-on. However, I understand that I must desgin the Script language first before writing the script editor. Therefore if I want the Map and Script Editor together, I must program the game engine first. My Editor will be tile-based and will allow people to place entities on the map and attached Scripts to it. Where do I start and are there tutorials on these two topics? If so, please email them to me jaryl@catcha.com
Advertisement

I would suggest that you start with planning the map and entity structures first. Only once you have a good idea how all your objects are going to interact with each other should you start with map editor. However, it is not always nessesary to start with the engine first.

There are good tutorials in the programming section of GameDev on map structures. I suggest you start there. I''m going to be posting tutorials on creating a map editor and scripting engine on my web site soon if you are interested.

Hope this helps.

--Antz
http://www.quanta-entertainment.com/
This is how i've always done it,

Using a map array like this: int map[width][height], i've always just loaded a refrence to an tile into each part of the map,
In the tile refrence i have:
Special properties
passable?, unless you want to define each tile by your self which can make a nice game too,
image (what it will copy to each part)

when i draw the map i go from 1 or 0 to the max number twice in a for loop, and copy each image onto the screen like this: (i'm using allegro dos for this)

for (int a;a (less then) width;a++)
{
for (int b;b (less then) width;b++)
{
blit(screen,tiles[map(a)(b)].image,0,0,32*a,32*b,32,32);
}
}
and the blit thing for it for refrence is like this:
void blit(BITMAP *source, BITMAP *dest, int source_x, int source_y, int dest_x, int dest_y, int width, int height);

So if that helps you any thats great, otherwise try emailing me or something...
I know the error, i couldn't make it display it on here....hm...

Edited by - NightBird on June 22, 2000 3:33:43 PM
Thanx guys,

what does tiles[map(a)(b)].image contain? I heard that this should be a pointer to a surface if I am correct.

But at least now I know how to draw in the screen area. But anyway how does a simple script define a character''s task?

Darkor,

jaryl@catcha.com is full now, I can''t send mail to it since quite long ago. Anyway, loving_peipei@hotmail.com is my email account.
Sorry, didn''t have time Anyway, it''s been cleared. I was shocked when it told me that I was using 206% of the mail quota. Hehe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement