diplomatic AI?

Started by
73 comments, last by vanevery0 19 years, 11 months ago
quote:Original post by InnocuousFox
However, your approach in your initial messages was more like storming through the door and saying "is every HERE stupid as well?" Not a good start, sir.

Yes, I tend to do that. But as I said, the charge is fair. There are no excellent diplomatic AIs in any commercial game out there, past or present. There are only adequate ones. Whereas we can clearly say, excellence in tactical AI has been achieved in quite a lot of games. So what''s the holdup? A strategic reality, expressed in a way that isn''t palateable to your ear, is still a strategic reality. I think AP''s tone is significantly less productive than even my tone, but he has a point. People talk the talk; who walks the walk?

quote:
What''s more, your question was more along the lines of a game of "guess the number" or "I spy" where we had to figure out exactly what your parameters were and what it was you wanted.

Sounds like an AI problem. I''d expect people around here to be good at that. :-) As I said, in AI circles it seems to take a long time to come up with common frameworks of discussion.

We''ve been much more specific on DIPAI. The first thing we did was start arguing about what the common framework of discussion was going to be, rather than having a "what do you mean there''s a problem?" or a "but you''re not providing any framework!" tiff. Maybe this is because Diplomacy programmers have a deep and pressing interest in diplomatic AI.

One person provided a Coin game, which I derided because it had no territorial component and its tactics were too trivial/boring to be worth studying. I said, we should sooner study the game of "Sit 7 people down at a table. Decide who wins." Which is worth pondering, but happens to be a class of problems that computers today can''t solve.

We explored various equivalencies and non-equivalencies to "decide who wins." A lot of productive intellectual jockeying without a lot of attitude about whose tone, expertise, conference, or burden of specifying things was at stake. Eventually we started talking about Tic Tac Toe because we had common ground in it and could actually whip out "Sez you!" answers quickly. Now we''re moving on to what "victory conditions in general, or Diplomacy [TM] specifically" should be.

Here we''ve still got a long way to go on framework. We can''t even agree, for instance, whether "joint alliance" should be dealt with. I say it should always be dealt with, because regardless of what the Diplomacy [TM] rules formally say, many players informally operate according to a joint victory paradigm. When you''ve had your ass handed to you by Players #1 and #2, you can whine and scream all you like about how there''s only supposed to be 1 winner, and they''ll just laugh and gloat.

People''s desire for easier problems and clean aesthetics get in the way here. The reality is that for freeform alliance in general, the matrix of disparate player motives is quite large. We found this out even in Tic Tac Toe, with only 2 players. Can you force your opponent to win Tic Tac Toe, if he''s determined to draw? We have a whole matrix of those questions, it''s messy.

Or, maybe ease and cleanliness isn''t the problem. Maybe a lot of people simply can''t accept a world where other people don''t share their same goals of how Diplomacy [TM] is "supposed to be" played? Irreconcileable politics is certainly a component of diplomatic problems.

Brandon Van Every, 3DProgrammer, Seattle, WA
20% of the world is real. 80% is gobbledygook we make up inside our own heads.
Cheers, Brandon J. Van Every(cruise (director (of SeaFunc) '(Seattle Functional Programmers)))
Advertisement
I think the AP''s post was a little too juvenile for even this discussion.

Vanevery: I think I provided a good option, which is a gametree. Diplomacy is a game which involves no chance, and has a finite number of options. From my understanding this should apply well to a gametree.

You had mentioned a gametree approach was discussed before. What are some of the shortcommings of this approach that have been uncovered in the other discussion list you visit?

All the best,
Will

------------------http://www.nentari.com
quote:Original post by RPGeezus
You had mentioned a gametree approach was discussed before. What are some of the shortcommings of this approach that have been uncovered in the other discussion list you visit?

We haven''t come up with a shortcoming yet. We simply haven''t discussed such a thing. The obvious "shortcoming" of a gametree approach is it forces you to face real political complexity, rather than wrap it all up as some minimaxible function of several vairables. The Diplomacy players tend to worry that combinatorial explosion sets in so fast that they can''t very well "tree" much of anything, there are billions of options for even 2 moves ahead. To which I tend to reply, surely there''s a way to heuristically cut that down to something manageable?

I do think that diplomatic problems are essentially heuristic. You can define a variable as a measurement of "victory." You can perform analyses, track it, etc. But you will never be able to prove convergence to that variable. There are too many irrational factors in diplomatic exchanges, and too many disparate goals. You might possibly prove a mathematical convergence if all players are formally defined to play in the same way, i.e. what would 7 identical AIs do? But with humans, forget it.

"Heuristic tree" perhaps?
Cheers, Brandon J. Van Every(cruise (director (of SeaFunc) '(Seattle Functional Programmers)))
I had been asked to close this thread based on some of the comments made in it. For the time being I am not going to do so, since there is still some valuable commentary taking place. However, I will say this:

Any further infractions of the GD.net Terms of Service WILL result in the offending account being placed on probation. Any infractions during probation usually attract a permanent ban.

... and don''t think that using Anonyous Poster will help... we can IP ban as well.

I can see I am going to have to get tough for a while in this forum. My role here is to protect the reputation of GD.net as a place where people can meet to communicate in a sensible, mature fashion. If you feel the need to disrupt that, then by all means go ahead... but be assured that both the GD.net Staff and Moderators are cracking down on abusive posters and your time here will be short-lived.

Cheers,

Timkin
Anyway, I don''t know who populates the list you mention, but you are surrounded by some of the leaders in the game AI world here.

Restated:
Muhawahahaha!!! I, Dave Mark, AM an AI GOD!!! ALL OF YOU FOOLS SHALL BOW DOWN BEFORE THE GREATNESS THAT IS INNOCUOUSFOX AND CO!!!!!

You pompus twit. I''ve never heard of any of you, except for on this board. Obviously you''re not that great since no one has given VanEvery0 a good answer to ''How do I make a Diplomacy AI''.

All you do is blame him for ''not asking the question correctly''. If you want a detailed description of the problem then go get the rules for diplomacy at http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/diplomacy_rules.htm. Moron.

P.S. Moderator: I don''t think this is any more offensive than InnFox''s hijaking of this discussion (see 1st reply to vanevery0''s post).
Anyway, I don''t know who populates the list you mention, but you are surrounded by some of the leaders in the game AI world here.

Restated:
Muhawahahaha!!! I, Dave Mark, AM an AI GOD!!! ALL OF YOU FOOLS SHALL BOW DOWN BEFORE THE GREATNESS THAT IS INNOCUOUSFOX AND CO!!!!!

You pompus twit. I''ve never heard of any of you, except for on this board. Obviously you''re not that great since no one has given VanEvery0 a good answer to ''How do I make a Diplomacy AI''.

All you do is blame him for ''not asking the question correctly''. If you want a detailed description of the problem then go get the rules for diplomacy at http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/diplomacy_rules.htm. Moron.

P.S. Moderator: I don''t think this is any more offensive than InnFox''s hijaking of this discussion (see 1st reply to vanevery0''s post).
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

AP, "you pompous twit" and "moron" are offensive in any forum. Must you continue to emphasize what a "twit / moron" InnFox is? You''re certainly going to put the moderators'' claimed capabilities to the test (and moderators, I might add that you''d probably get more done if you don''t publically "dare" people to break the rules.)

I think it would be sufficient to say "InnFox, you haven''t provided some great answer to the diplomacy AI question" once, and leave it at that. I agree that such a statement wouldn''t be any more offensive than what InnFox has said. The point may smart InnFox, or it may not, but it need only be made once. And in InnFox''s defense, he has at least offered 1 framework for discussion, however imperfect. I think it would be more productive if you offered your own frameworks or ideas at this point.

Brandon Van Every, 3DProgrammer, Seattle, WA
20% of the world is real. 80% is gobbledygook we make up inside our own heads.
*sigh*

I wonder if I should bother with my post (sorry I didn''t do it Sunday but other stuff came up) if the thread is going to be closed anyway.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer
Intrinsic Algorithm - "Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Restated:

Odd... I never claimed to be one of them. Perhaps it is a personal vendetta you are on that makes me the unnatural focus of your ire? It must be since you are obviously not here to participate.

quote:You pompus twit. I've never heard of any of you, except for on this board.

Heh. Some auditor YOU make. Start reading some boxes, dude.
quote:Obviously you're not that great since no one has given VanEvery0 a good answer to 'How do I make a Diplomacy AI'.
I suppose that would make you just as inneffective since you have not done us all the courtesy of providing YOUR wisdom. At least the rest of us actually addressed the subject.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer
Intrinsic Algorithm - "Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

[edited by - InnocuousFox on August 5, 2003 3:32:47 PM]

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Closing this thread because of the AP''s rude and childish behavior is just what the AP desires. Moderators, please IP ban this AP instead.

Eric

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement