Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johnc82

Making a text editor using assembly

Why would you want to write an entire program in assembly?

"For crying out loud, she has fishes coming out of her head on either side. How can you find this hot?!"

"If anyone sees a suspicious, camouflaged factory being carried across the desert, they should report it immediately."

there isn''t special assembly information for a text editor. It will just use the basic assembly instructions you use for almost everything else (mov, jmp, int etc.).
You do need to know how to read from the keyboard and how to write to the screen. If you don''t know that, I can help you with it, but if you just don''t know how to program a text editor, the problem doesn''t have anything to do with assembler, and you better first try it in something more easy than assembler.

My Site

quote:
Original post by quasar3d
I don''t think so. I don''t think you have to do things like this for school, unless it''s a very stupid school

My Site

I beg to differ. When I took x86 assembly, we did a similiar project. We also cracked the assembler we were using. It was limited to 100 lines of code. Shhhhh. Then we did a chat program that uses a serial connection. Of course this was in DOS. So we had to scroll the screen etc. It was actually quite fun. Projects make it much more interesting. Not just assignments out of a text book. The instructors that realize this are definitly not stupid. I would definitly prefer some practical programming projects.