Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Enselic

Commercial product source code

I''m wondering if anyone knows about some site with an overview of games with open source (commercial games prefered) or source code to previous closed-source games. I know that Quake, Quake2, Abues for instance has released the source. Some games I''d like to see the source for is for instance any modern Blizzard game, Elasto Mania, Liero and Sport games (EA). Anyone know of such a site or maybe has direct links to sources themselves? _______________ ____ ___ __ _ Enselic''s Corner

Guest Anonymous Poster
not a chance. the big companies don''t want you to be able to compete with them so why would they give you their code? only ID software releases it''s source code to the public, and even they will only give you outdated code presented in a nearly unreadable manner.

I remember a while ago I e-mailed Blizzard asking for any source code. The guy who responded said something like "sorry, what''s the source code?" and I was so shocked that I never ended up answering him.

"Skepticism.... that great rot of the intellect." - V.H.
Bah, what does HE know?

Albekerky Software

You should see some of the code I have to work with. Its from a major Japanese deleloper for a major game series and the code is appauling, following what happens is an appsolute nightmare.

quote:
Original post by sliderag
I remember a while ago I e-mailed Blizzard asking for any source code. The guy who responded said something like "sorry, what''s the source code?" and I was so shocked that I never ended up answering him.

He was probably so shocked by your request that he couldn''t imagine what you were talking about.

At least he didn''t reply "Huh?". That would have been my reply if I worked at Blizzard.

Yeah I remember when I got the Quake 1 source code and downloaded it... all those things I wanted to do, so I looked at it, and put it aside for a year. Meanwhile I had learned quite a bit about programming and even made some cool modifications. The longer you read through some code and have to do with it, the better you understand it. (This is for foreign poorly commented code, if it''s your own, you should do something about it )

But I agree, why would they want to hand out any source code??

Even the idea of e-mailing them and asking for code is so pathetic, I''m sure you made that up...

Games are a massive industry. Giving away source code is like giving away straight cash. The best engines that can be licensed retail for 10s to 100s of thousands. The closest you can get to the real thing is looking through documentation and open source mods for the most flexible engines. There is a large amount of documentation on UnrealScript that gives a good insight on how the actual engine works and is structured.

You could also pick up the Half-Life SDK, which (amongst other things) contains the original Half-Life Game code (code specific to Half-Life itself, not the engine code).

Or, you could write a game, sell it, and then look at your own source code.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3

Activision has announced it''ll release the source code for "Call To Power 2". The announcment has come via two of the main coders and a designer of the game.

http://www.apolyton.net/ctp2

and

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=93116

I''m just waiting for that one, so I can fix all the bugs. :D

Not many major commercial developers release their full source code, other than id. There''s no way companies like EA will do it.

Volition released the source code for Freespace 2, far and away one of the best games I have ever played, along with the source code for a bunch of their tools and detailed file format specs. I studied it for a few weeks once, and while it may not be the type of game you''re looking for I can tell you it gave me some insight into how a large scale, real world project is designed and implemented.

quote:
Original post by Dale
I''m just waiting for that one, so I can fix all the bugs. :D

LMAO. And then release a patch back to the coders and get sent a cake or something.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3

You know, I''ll have to try that for giggles and kicks:

"Dear Mr. Fraizer, or To Whom It May Concern at Blizzard:

I am truly a big fan of your Warcraft series of games, in particular Warcraft 3. As well, I am impressed with the Diablo franchise, and fascinated with the idea of creating a game of my own in that genre. Toward that end, it would be truly appreciated if you could send me the full source code to Diablo 2, along with all accompanying documentation, programmer logs, CVS logs, and any notes or materials you think will be of assistance in my endeavour. As well, it would be most helpful if you could format all documents as .PDF files for easier printing, and enclose a CD containing all graphical and audio assets used in the game. Much haste in this matter would be greatly appreciated, as I am in a hurry to release a product to compete with yours.

Yours truly,
VertexNormal"

I''d love to see the look on his face.

Josh
vertexnormal AT email DOT com

Check out Golem at:
My cheapass website

Along the same lines, maybe someone could try...

Dear Mr. Gates

I like the interface and ease of use of your operating systems; however, some poor memory management and overall instabillity seems to plague your desktop releases... I really think they could benefit from my services. I am starting a project aiming at making Windows open-source, and I''d like to have the documentation you have, the source code, the graphics and everything which could help with my endeavor. This way, I could remove all the standard-infringing crap your programmers inadvertently inserted into every protocol, and make sure everyone could contribute to this operating system. This could prove quite usefull for your corporation. Of course, you would loose a few bucks since the software would be becoming free, but as you know, everyone''s already stealing it anyway. You would still be making big bucks over technical support however, since that debugging and crap-ridding phase might take well over 5 years. I hope you understand the benefits for everyone and are willing to commit to such an ambitious project.

Yours Truly

If you like simulations, source code for Battle of Britian and Mig Alley used to be found at http://www.simhq.com.
Razorworks' source for Enemy Engaged : Comanche & Hokum can be found downloaded from their website http://www.razorworks.com/enemyengaged/mainframe.html.

[edited by - Aqualung on July 30, 2003 11:53:45 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
HAH!! VertexNormal: You gotta send that email. If you get a response, post it here! It would be hilarious to see how they respond to that.

quote:
Original post by l3mon
Yeah I remember when I got the Quake 1 source code and downloaded it... all those things I wanted to do, so I looked at it, and put it aside for a year. Meanwhile I had learned quite a bit about programming and even made some cool modifications. The longer you read through some code and have to do with it, the better you understand it. (This is for foreign poorly commented code, if it''s your own, you should do something about it )

But I agree, why would they want to hand out any source code??

Even the idea of e-mailing them and asking for code is so pathetic, I''m sure you made that up...

Any more pathetic than downloading the Quake source and expecting to be able to do anything with it without knowing how to CODE ?

quote:
Original post by voodoo_john
Any more pathetic than downloading the Quake source and expecting to be able to do anything with it without knowing how to CODE ?

That''s actually how I got into programming in the first place. Well, almost, anyhow. My family got a computer way back in the day, and I found BASIC--and some games written in it. One of them was a text adventure game, but I couldn''t figure out how to make any progress in it, so I tried looking at the code in an attempt to cheat. Of course, I couldn''t understand any of it, and looking back on it now, I think the code was encrypted somehow--what I remember doesn''t match up with the BASIC I''ve learned.

So, to make a long story short, because I couldn''t read the existing game''s code and cheat, I decided to write my own.

-Odd the Hermit

quote:
Original post by Odd the Hermit
quote:
Original post by voodoo_john

That''s actually how I got into programming in the first place. Well, almost, anyhow. My family got a computer way back in the day, and I found BASIC--and some games written in it. One of them was a text adventure game, but I couldn''t figure out how to make any progress in it, so I tried looking at the code in an attempt to cheat. Of course, I couldn''t understand any of it, and looking back on it now, I think the code was encrypted somehow--what I remember doesn''t match up with the BASIC I''ve learned.

So, to make a long story short, because I couldn''t read the existing game''s code and cheat, I decided to write my own.

-Odd the Hermit

Yeah some early BASIC games redefined the command set to use shorter command strings to save memory. For example, PRINT became PR(funny char). I used to use that to save space on the old C64 :9 :yes: