Commercial product source code

Started by
39 comments, last by Enselic 20 years, 8 months ago
I''m wondering if anyone knows about some site with an overview of games with open source (commercial games prefered) or source code to previous closed-source games. I know that Quake, Quake2, Abues for instance has released the source. Some games I''d like to see the source for is for instance any modern Blizzard game, Elasto Mania, Liero and Sport games (EA). Anyone know of such a site or maybe has direct links to sources themselves? _______________ ____ ___ __ _ Enselic''s Corner
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Advertisement
Blizzard or EA Sports... Highly unlikely.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"
I know, that''s why I want to see!
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
not a chance. the big companies don''t want you to be able to compete with them so why would they give you their code? only ID software releases it''s source code to the public, and even they will only give you outdated code presented in a nearly unreadable manner.
yeah code can be difficult to read if you can''t code
'ROIDRAGE!!! - I wanna work for the chinese communist regime!
I remember a while ago I e-mailed Blizzard asking for any source code. The guy who responded said something like "sorry, what''s the source code?" and I was so shocked that I never ended up answering him.

"Skepticism.... that great rot of the intellect." - V.H.
Bah, what does HE know?

Albekerky Software
"Skepticism.... that great rot of the intellect." - V.H.Bah, what does HE know?Albekerky Software
You should see some of the code I have to work with. Its from a major Japanese deleloper for a major game series and the code is appauling, following what happens is an appsolute nightmare.
APE
quote:Original post by sliderag
I remember a while ago I e-mailed Blizzard asking for any source code. The guy who responded said something like "sorry, what''s the source code?" and I was so shocked that I never ended up answering him.

He was probably so shocked by your request that he couldn''t imagine what you were talking about.

At least he didn''t reply "Huh?". That would have been my reply if I worked at Blizzard.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Yeah I remember when I got the Quake 1 source code and downloaded it... all those things I wanted to do, so I looked at it, and put it aside for a year. Meanwhile I had learned quite a bit about programming and even made some cool modifications. The longer you read through some code and have to do with it, the better you understand it. (This is for foreign poorly commented code, if it''s your own, you should do something about it )

But I agree, why would they want to hand out any source code??

Even the idea of e-mailing them and asking for code is so pathetic, I''m sure you made that up...
Games are a massive industry. Giving away source code is like giving away straight cash. The best engines that can be licensed retail for 10s to 100s of thousands. The closest you can get to the real thing is looking through documentation and open source mods for the most flexible engines. There is a large amount of documentation on UnrealScript that gives a good insight on how the actual engine works and is structured.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement