Game Engine for GameBoy?

Started by
4 comments, last by liorm 20 years, 8 months ago
Hi guys, We are planning to create a company that do GameBoy games. Is there a game engine for the GBA, something like RenderWare or MetroWorks? RAD tools? Any other tools? Also, we wondereed about the cost of the license, or the SDK from Nintendo. Is it a per seat license? Thanks so much for any idea, Lior
Advertisement
I don''t think that there''s such thing. Programming your own engine shouldn''t take too long, the GBA hardware has a large part of the engine built-in like the tile-engine. I''d advise everyone who doesn''t want to setup anything to learn GBA.

.lick
Granted, I''ve never used it myself because for learning''s sake I prefer to work from the ground up, but HAM might be at least in the direction of what you''re looking for. All I know of it is what I''ve gotten out of context, but I figured I''d at least mention it. Check out the website here.

-Arek the Absolute
-Arek the Absolute"The full quartet is pirates, ninjas, zombies, and robots. Create a game which involves all four, and you risk being blinded by the sheer level of coolness involved." - Superpig
most people (including me) believe devkitadvance to be better than ham. see www.gbadev.org for more details on both. check the tutorials section for gba junkie''s setup tutorial. that will get you started.

all in all its not that difficult and lots of commercial quality software has been made legally by homebrewers. you can get a rewritable gba card to flash your game to.

(also gbadev.org is having a contest which ends some time in september)

if you''re going to use ham theres a book on it coming out soon i suppose. check barnesandnoble.com for that.
also if you want to be a licensed developer, yes it is expensive. the hardware is expensive as well. lots of commercial companies use the flash cards for testing as nintendo does (and always has) charged incredible amounts for the hardware.

i think you might be able to get more info at warioworld.com . you can attempt to sign up, theyll make you sign an NDA before telling you anything.
BlueRoses is a commercial 3d engine for the gameboy advance. http://www.raylight.it/Blueroses3dagb/blueroses.htm

[edited by - awf on July 27, 2003 4:32:33 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement