• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RenegadeKoolAid

Dynamic struct array allocation inside another struct

This topic is 5618 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im having a little problem here, I have two structs, such as:
struct Pos
{
  int x;
  int y;
};

struct Stats
{
   int stuff;
   float stuff;

Pos *position;
};

Stats *stats;

similar to that anyway. Now I allocate my "stats" struct array, and then need to allocate the position struct array inside to have an array of positions for this object to move to. I do it like this:
stats = new Stats[50];           //50 objects or so
stats->position = new Pos[10];   //10 positions for this object

Then try to access the position array in a loop such as:

for( int i = 0; i < 50; i++ )
{
    for( int j = 0; j < 10; j++ )
    { 
       stats[i]->posision[j]->x = 1;
       stats[i]->position[j]->y = 10;
    }
}

Im pretty sure this is how to do it, although i get a "does not have an overloaded member operator ->" and "left of '->x' must point to class/struct/union" errors. Anyone know whats going on? The structs are in a class, btw. [edited by - RenegadeKoolAid on July 26, 2003 7:50:55 PM] [edited by - RenegadeKoolAid on July 26, 2003 7:51:33 PM]

Advertisement
The subscript operator dereferences the pointer, so you use the . operator, instead of the -> operator:

stats[ i ].position[j].x = 1;
stats[ i ].position[j].y = 10;

Note: If you remember, try to put a space like [ i ], because without spaces the forum interprets it as an italics tag.

[ Google || Start Here || ACCU || STL || Boost || MSDN || GotW || MSVC++ Library Fixes || BarrysWorld || E-Mail Me ]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!