Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reunion

Direct3D problem

Hi, all. I have a terrain in the center of my scene (it''s y=0). Then I place some model in the center of my scene (x=y=z=0), so that a part of the model is under terrain. Now it can be seen because the camera is in (0,0,-30) and looks to (0,0,0). But when I place the camera to (0, 30, -30) and it looks to (0,0,0) my whole model is above the terrain. WHY??? Part of it MUST be under the terrain. I use perspective.

Continuing along the same lines of questioning:

1) What values do you have for the near and far clip planes set in your projection matrix ? (near in particular shouldn''t be 0 and preferably as high as possible).

2) Are you using ZBIAS for anything?

3) How are you setting your world, view and projection matrices? - your own function?, D3DX?, the same kinds of values as the samples?

4) Likewise, anything weird in your viewport (if you set it explicitly).

I''d also suggest making a simple keyboard control for your camera so you can see if this only happens from certain angles etc.

--
Simon O''Connor
ex -Creative Asylum
Programmer &
Microsoft MVP

1) near=1.0f, far=500.0f
2) no
3) a) world matrix is identity one
b) view is: D3DXMatrixLookAtLH(&matView, &D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 30.0f, -30.0f), &D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f), &D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f));
c) projection is: D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH(&matProj, D3DX_PI / 6, 1.0f, 1.0f, 500.0f);
4) nothing else

PS. This also happens from other camera angles

I understood the problem: when I place the camera somewhere between (0,0,-30) and (0,30,-30) my terrain goes down. Why it goes down? I''m sure that the problem is in the terrain.