Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Down the Drain Designs

This topic is 5251 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I purchased XBox today and now it costs 179.99 plus tax. The system in my opinion is wonderful. It has allot of potential. The control is horrible, but it''s definatly something I wasn''t hesitante to purchase. I went down to bluckbuster to rent a game for xbox. I got a game that looked amazing on the cover. Tao Feng or something like that. I have to say that game is waste of money, and I''m probably going to return the system tomorow. For what reason? Not becuase of one game, well maybe so, yes becuase of one game. That game recieved pretty decent reviews online but when I played it. The game was just one big CG presentation. Nothing solid at all. The controls were horrible, my hands still hurt, the combos consited of basic kicks and punches, oh and you have chi which builds up slowly and than u can use it once by simply pressing a button. Now this game had no apparent errors with the programming. But the design couldn''t have been more off. Please start DESIGNING quality stuff for XBOX. Yes theirs Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid 2, Bloody Roar, and a few others but all of them are available for PS2. Yes theirs the exclusive Dead or Alive 3 but Tekken in my opinion was much better designed gameplay wise. I''m just looking for a response on if you agree, disagree, or will do something about it.

This happens! In some designer''s heads, beautiful == excellent. They get their game done, and when they look at it they think "it''s looking so cool" and consider it a blockbuster because of that. Luckily, most professional game designers understand the main goal is not beauty, but the player, and concentrate on creating good games (instead of the good tech demos you were talking about).

But I think what is happening on the XBox is a natural phenomenon. All the advertisement about it was about it''s CG sheer power, so when designers actually get their hand on it, they want to do something that *looks* like what''s expected from that console. In every designer, there''s a "hey, let''s make some cool stuff" kid who doesn''t mind about the cool stuff being fun or not.

ToohrVyk

I to have an x-box and am greatly disappointed there are very few good games for it and most of them are available on other systems. Generally the games are just demonstartsions of what the xbox can do, with little or if anything in terms of gameplay.

But then sadly thats the way most games are these days designers are more interested in making poweful 3d engines then making good games. Games today are all show no substance, in fact in the past 2 years the only good PC games that I can think of are Galactic Civilization, Silent hill 2, Civ III.

Although I don't have a gamecube or PS2 and I've seen some good games for those.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I'm a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

[edited by - TechnoGoth on July 27, 2003 9:40:36 AM]

Not to be a pain in the *** or anything (too late right), but doesnt this belong in the Lounge? So far I don''t see many design issues being raised as much whether the reader agrees that there arent many good games for XBox. Hmm maybe I''m wrong, sorry.

You didn’t try HALO!! I bought an Xbox just for that game. Not only does that game have killer graphics, the game play is awesome. Can’t wait to see HALO 2. As far as other games go, that Playstations 2 job.

BTW: They do make little controllers.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

Maybe this does belong in the lounge but I was hoping some employed xobox developers would read this. I''m not too sure how well known GameDev is in the industry. If you''d like I suppose you can move the thread or keep it here.

In response to UltimaX, well I personally like 2 player games (fighting games, maybe I should have gotten Dead or Alive), or RPGS (there aren''t any decent RPGs out for XBOX, unless I''m wrong). I got the system with my friend and yes I did get a small controller, and a small one came with xbox. The thing that makes playing fighting games impossible on the xbox are the round plastic buttons. They should be flat, or squishy or something. It really hurts pressing those buttons. I mean besides that I don''t think the controller is bad at all. I heard allot of good things about Halo, but by looking at the game in the store I didn''t want to get it. Also the DOA3 was pretty old so I want to try something new. DO3 was $29, while TAO FENG was $49. My surprise when a game that was just released is much worth than DOA3. If Dead or Alive is better that is. If it''s not, than well it''s pretty hopeless.

I want to make one more point in this. If all the games suck for an extremly powerful and nice system. Why aren''t there more games coming out for that system. From what I heard it''s much easier to program than both the Cube and the Station. If theirs little to no competition on that system, than why not release something, you know it will sell. Just make an averagly DECENT game. Not another Demo Reel.

Actually HALO is 16 players. I had 12 people playing at the same time. So it''s just not 1 player. HALO''s been out for a long time and it''s still $49, tell ya something

Anyway, thats a good question. The only fun games I played so far was HALO, DOA3 (You can interact with the enviroment. break bricks with their head, throw them off of waterfall cliffs, etc.), Silent Hill 2, Splinter Cell, and Ghost Recon. Other than those, I have no interest.

They do need to make more and better games. Like you said, such a powerful system, but nothing to show for it. Playstation doesn''t have as good of graphics (Barely), but look at how many fun games there are. Who cares about the graphics. If the games no good, it sucks anyway.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

I own Halo I even won it on legendary, took my tries to do that, and the added scene at the end is funny. The only thing missing from halo is that I you should be able to play jeep race whenever you want.

I''m hoping that knights of the old republic will be good, since I''m an rpg fan. Also I''m hoping that Dino Crisis 3 is still commming out.

Also DOA 3 is a terrible fightning game, The best fighting game on the market is still tekken.

Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project

quote:
If all the games suck for an extremly powerful and nice system.

You''ve tried one game.
You know of two other games.

There''s your bloody problem. My god, I wish I had as much spare cash as you did so I could go around making $200+ purchases without having a clue what I''m doing. And judging by your complete disregard of games which are available on other consoles I can only assume you have them too.
Gaaaaaah, people like you drive me nuts. One game != the XBox.

this is why i rent games from the local video store before i buy them... if it sucks, you wasted $5 and can try again; if it is a good game, you go buy one.

this is good advice for any console, since games are fairly expensive, and selling them back still loses you like %50.

don''t blame the console for your bad judgement in purchasing a game.

quote:
Original post by UltimaX They do need to make more and better games. Like you said, such a powerful system, but nothing to show for it. Playstation doesn''t have as good of graphics (Barely), but look at how many fun games there are.

Am I blind or something? Does anyone else believe the *apparent* orders of magnitude difference in power between the XBox and PS2 is a result of our hearing and knowing about the specs beforehand so that when see the consoles in action we are conditioned to give that response? Is it a self-fulfilling prophecy? I always look at the XBox and PS2 demos they have on the floor at my video game store and I don''t see the huge difference. I watch a lot of video game shows and I cannot tell which platform a game is on until they tell me. Is it just me? I''ve heard of being tone deaf, am I gfx blind or is everyone giving in to hype?

with some games, there is very little (or no) difference in the graphics between the consoles; this is laziness on the developer''s part in my opinion, since they didn''t take advantage of the superior machinery. if the developers bother, though, there is a big difference.

I did rent, and I purchased the system for no reason really your right on that. I was sort of talked into it. I went to rent the game before purchasing, so I haven''t yet purchased my own game. SInce you can''t return games but can still return the system. I played the game again today, and the worst thing is probably those annoying buttons. Not to offend XBOX here like I said before it''s a trully amazing system. But besides HALO which I''m not to thirlled about personally is there anything else? Does anyone have a good answer to why not? When PS1 came out it was a huge hit. It had brand new capabilities and not a huge amount of games available. But becuase of shear power people started making games and eventually it became the most popular system out there. Why doesn''t XBOX follow the same principles? Is it becuase it was released with such harsh competitions. It was so new people stuck towards Nintendo or Sony. Well I don''t buy that! People bought the system with HALO in mind as their first game correct?! Well ok so you got your first hit, why aren''t there follow ups? I took the time to look at new games coming out for the system. FABLE, I swear it looks amazing. But I wonder will it have the gameplay value. I''m not criticizing the system, I''m yelling at the developers. Don''t be upset with me if I didn''t do the research. What does it matter. Look I didn''t do the research and so many others in the store who purchased the system probably didn''t either. You know those other guys the softcore gamers. If they pick up a game with a buetiful cover on it they expect a great game. If their disappointed with the game. They''ll be disappointed with the system.

quote:
Original post by RolandofGilead
quote:
Original post by UltimaX They do need to make more and better games. Like you said, such a powerful system, but nothing to show for it. Playstation doesn''t have as good of graphics (Barely), but look at how many fun games there are.

Am I blind or something? Does anyone else believe the *apparent* orders of magnitude difference in power between the XBox and PS2 is a result of our hearing and knowing about the specs beforehand so that when see the consoles in action we are conditioned to give that response? Is it a self-fulfilling prophecy? I always look at the XBox and PS2 demos they have on the floor at my video game store and I don''t see the huge difference. I watch a lot of video game shows and I cannot tell which platform a game is on until they tell me. Is it just me? I''ve heard of being tone deaf, am I gfx blind or is everyone giving in to hype?

I have to say theirs a huge difference, which I first noticed at Best Buy while playing some water racing game. It was incredible. My friend owns a PS2 which I played for quite some time, and I even saw the graphics for FFX (I''m a huge fan), and I have to say that game pushed em to the limits. Temp being the owner of an XBOX I have to say that their is significant difference

There are a lot of good games on X-Box. Maybe instead of looking for the newest title, you should look through the older ones and check out the different styles... As for games with graphics and no gameplay, there are a lot, you just have to play the game before you buy it like some1 up there said... But it can''t be helped, there will always be some idiot game developper that will do that.

Ps. I have a Halo 2 gameplay clip and it looks insane and since its halo, you know it will be fun :D

are you fishing for game suggestions? if so, what genres do you like?

a lot of the older games are "platinum hits" or whatever, and are generally pretty good games (and cheaper too).

The thing abou the xbox which you may or may not have realised when you bought it is that its mainly a sports game platform. A quick lick at blockbuster will show you that about 2/3 of the games are sports or racing games. That the what the developers have chosen to do and it can''t be helped. Its also at a disadvantage interms of marketing with the other systems since it doesn''t own any existing game franchises.

Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project

I dont know if I should try to 'help' koffman or laugh at him. Tao Feng is a very mediocre title, its silly to judge an entire system on is. Theres bad games on every system. Heres a list of my favorite xbox games:

["AAA" Titles]
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (VERY good game)
Splinter Cell
Halo
Brute Force

[Sports]
World Series Baseball 2K3
NCAA 2004
NHL 2K3
NBA Street Vol 2
Tiger Woods 2003

[Budget Titles]
Mad Dash Racing
Amped
Rally Sport Challenge

Those are the games I've gotten the most enjoyment out of. Your tastes may vary but at least try some better games than Tao Feng before proclaiming the system to be crap.

Ratman

[edited by - ratman on July 28, 2003 3:29:27 PM]

quote:
Original post by LockePick
quote:
If all the games suck for an extremly powerful and nice system.

You''ve tried one game.
You know of two other games.

There''s your bloody problem. My god, I wish I had as much spare cash as you did so I could go around making $200+ purchases without having a clue what I''m doing. And judging by your complete disregard of games which are available on other consoles I can only assume you have them too.
Gaaaaaah, people like you drive me nuts. One game != the XBox.

Halo is the only decent game, the rest are either ports, crappy boring sports sims, or unoriginal titles. I''ve played many, and really, the Xbox is a non-console for me. Most hideous controller and system I''ve ever seen, and a total lack of good titles.

I''ll end this debate by saying for the fifth time that I don''t claim the system to be crap. I think it''s genious. Once again XBOX is a great system (ok except the controller that thing has awful buttons), I''m disappointed with the titles. This discussion hasn''t really lead anywhere, not in the direction I ment it to. I''ve heard a few people agree that the game quality for the XBox is fairly poor (for the majority), and I''ve heard quite a few say that that the system is great and HALO was amazing (notice how all are pointing towards one game, for the majority). Maybe I was wrong but I thought that proffesional game developers (what I mean is people who make XBox games) hang around here. God please don''t take this as insult. It by no means is ment to be. Once again PLEASE don''t take this as an insult. I was just hoping I could not just get my point across but hear the opinions of those that make these games and why the hell their so limited when their is so much potential. Thanks for listening.