SDL/OpenGL extensions errors

Started by
8 comments, last by deathtrap 20 years, 8 months ago
Looking for some info regarding some errors i get when i try to use glActiveTextureARB ( i think thats the function). when trying to run in an SDL window on windows xp i get an "SDL segmentation fault" . anyone know the cause? could it be because of an older version of the openg32.dll file?
Advertisement
A segmentation fault normally indicates an invalid pointer. I''m not completely sure what the glActiveTextureARB function does but I guess you have to pass a pointer to it and that is the pointer that is invalid.
it''s used to select a texture when multitexturing a polygon. and the only thing you pass to it is a type GLenum , i.e. GL_TEXTURE0_ARB , GL_TEXTURE1_ARB ...etc

it doesn''t deal with a pointer. unless the data in my own bitmap structure is invalid yet i doubt that since the loading of the bitmap data is unchanged.
any other possibilities?
I bet your glActiveTextureARB is a function pointer, and wglGetProcAddress failed to load it properly. Check the value of it. If that is correct, I bet it fails because you don't have a rendering context when trying to load the function pointer. With the use of a debugger and/or error checking, such a problem is easily found.

EDIT: You said you used SDL, so I assume you're using SDL's wrapper for wglGetProcAddress instead. However, my point is still valid.

[edited by - Brother Bob on July 27, 2003 6:18:11 PM]
quote:Original post by Brother Bob
EDIT: You said you used SDL, so I assume you''re using SDL''s wrapper for wglGetProcAddress instead. However, my point is still valid.

damn it, i never thought to think you would need to have a rendering context up and running before calling wglGetProcAddress.
and SDL''s what wrapper for wglGetProcAddress, i''ve never seen it mentioned anywhere.
extern DECLSPEC void * SDLCALL SDL_GL_GetProcAddress(const char* proc);

i think he means that one..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Yeah, that looks like the right one. Never used SDL, but the name of the function, the parameter and return type is more or less identical to wglGetProcAddress.

And of course you need a rendering context before loading function pointers, how else would it know from where to get them?
Hi
I have same problem on sdl -see my post on Cone3D section.
No one not replies yet on my post but I think the problem on declaration of pointer to arb function

__cdecl instead of __stdcall
debuger says that 4bit segment fault because some conversion
i have no idea were is it?

When I am using wglgetproc as I did before then i havn''t problems at all.
I think sdl wrapper have some bug or mabe we missing something
in sdlgetprocaddress.

Can''''t be root?Reboot!
mount -r /home/hell
Can't be root?Reboot!mount -r /home/hell
I''m not sure really, but I think __cdecl is microsoft specific for their visual c++ compilers. maybe you should get a different SDL-dev binaries?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement