Two quick questions

Started by
27 comments, last by Huzzah 20 years, 8 months ago
Advertisement
Why is nobody helping!? Doesn''t anybody know the problem!?
Why is everybody just ignoring this?
For the love of God, why will nobody help!?
Could somebody AT LEAST post and say why everybody is just ignoring this!?
PLEASE! Stop ignoring this! For God''s sake!
I saw this thread, and read the OP. Then, I found out quickly that the answers to those two questions were given in the replies. Case closed.

Then I wondered "What the hell does he want NOW?", and after scanning through posts for 5 minutes I found your latest-asked question. This is why most people seem to ignore the thread : no clearly, explicitly asked question. Usually, if you want a question answered, don''t ask it in the middle of a thread, because few people will read ALL messages inside, and might skip it.

Also, please note that you give out code under the "nexe" label, then, under the label "my code", you give out the EXACT SAME piece of code. What tha...? We can'' tcorrect you since you gave out Nexe''s code twice !

From what I read, Nexe tutorials are tutorials for DX8, not DX9. Using a DX8 tutorial to learn DX9 is like using an apple pie recipe to bake a pumpkin pie: you''ll know how to cook, and you''ll know the overall formula, but you don''t know the actual steps. Yes, DX9 does stuff differently for DX8, and that was actually the point : would it be worth cranking out a new version without changing anything?

So I think you should try and find a DX8 SDK and toy around with DirectX8, and once you get it, move on to DX9.

I don''t want to be harsh, but copying code, changing "8" to "9" and hoping it works shows a lack of understanding of what is really going on. There is rendering theory. DirectX8 or 9 are only sets of vocabulary that let you tell the computer to do something. This theory, you need to understand.

What I advise you to do is to understand the theory behind NEXE''s code, and behind 3D rendering in general. This will explain to you the "how-to" : rendering triangles, putting them in lists, indexing them, adding lights, blending colors, etc... Once you know how to do all this *in english* (or whatever your first language is), it will be time to translate it into C++ using the DirectX9 (or 8) vocabulary. How? Fetch the SDK docs, and use the search feature.

I have always believed the only thing you need to get started in DirectX (besides 3D graphics theory) is this :

You need to create a Direct3D object, which will allow you to create one or more devices each tied to a window you created. Once you create the device, you set the render states (texture, vertices, color operations, etc ) and ask the device to render primitives.

All you might need to know about executing any of these steps is fully and clearly explained in the SDK docs and/or on msdn.

ToohrVyk

Okay then...thanks.
The reason I gave two sets of code is because I might have made a typo or something in my version that I couldn''t see... Thanks...
There is a #define option to set the sdk files to compile as if they were a dx8 sdk. look it up in the documentation.. i''ve seen it around before.
"The human mind is limited only by the bounds which we impose upon ourselves." -iNfuSeD
As I said, you did NOT give two sets of code. You gave the same set twice.

ToohrVyk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement