Introductions.

Started by
1 comment, last by Beige 20 years, 9 months ago
The beginning of a game is crucial. The transition from loading a game to the title screen alone can determine a gamer''s initial impressions right off the bat. Or, just from pressing "New Game" to the actual gameplay; is there going to be a cutscene? Do we throw the player right into the action? Will there be a text window explaining the situation that the player/players are currently in? What''s the best thing to do there, to bring the player in?
Advertisement
When im just starting a game i love to see a cool movie or short scene to break you in the game
quote:Original post by Beige
Or, just from pressing "New Game" to the actual gameplay; is there going to be a cutscene? Do we throw the player right into the action? Will there be a text window explaining the situation that the player/players are currently in?

What''s the best thing to do there, to bring the player in?

Personally, I prefer games that just throw you in the action and explain things along the way (even if it is mostly an "interactive cutscene"). Sort of a "yes yes, save the world... now let me play the game" or "if I wanted a movie I wouldn''t have bought a game" attitude. However, it seems I''m in the minority, and many people prefer a cutscene that sets the mood.

I liked Fallout''s opening. The intro movie shown on program startup can be skipped, but also sets the mood for the game if you watch it. When you start playing you have a short conversation (using the same interface you use throughout the game) with the overseer and then you''re off.

I did not like Final Fantasy 8''s opening. It was interesting, but too long for my tastes. It was also disappointing to find out the actual reason for the fight.

I liked Final Fantasy Legend III''s opening. Right in a fight. Disappointing to find it was just a simulator, but before I did anything else I got to play the game. (maybe there was a short bit of explanatory text, I don''t recall)

Wow... no new games in that list... sometimes I feel out of touch.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement