Linked List Issues

Started by
4 comments, last by LordN 20 years, 9 months ago
I have a linked list class that links structs that contain a string. My function to add a node is this: void CLinkedList::AddWord(char *word) { if(Head == NULL) { Head = new LinkedWord; strcpy(Head->word,word); Head->next = NULL; Head->prev = NULL; Tail = Head; } else { LinkedWord* temp = Head; Head = new LinkedWord; strcpy(Head->word,word); Head->prev = temp; Head->next = NULL; temp ->next = Head; } NumWords++; } If I add one word to the list, it is fine. However, if I add a second word, it changed the first one, adding strange characteres to the end of it, like this: test࢐ Then, if I add a third word, it does this to the second word, and so on like that. I have no idea why this is occuring, I can''t seem to trace the problem. I am also having difficulty with my function to clear the entire list: void CLinkedList::ClearList() { LinkedWord* walker = Head; while(walker != NULL) { LinkedWord* temp = walker; walker = walker->prev; delete temp; } Head = NULL; Tail = NULL; NumWords = 0; } If there are more then four or five words on the list, when the program tries to execute delete temp, it crashes. Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
I don''t think strcpy copies the NULL-terminator which is important for other functions to know where the string ends.
I think you need to use either memcpy or strncpy to do that.
Also I don''t see anywhere where you allocate any memory for the Head->word array. However considering my state of mind(tired) at the moment that might not be necessary :/ heh, i should probably not be looking at linked lists at all

ah anyways hopes that was any help
I don''t think strcpy copies the NULL-terminator which is important for other functions to know where the string ends.

strcpy does copy the null terminator, otherwise the resulting copy wouldn''t be a string and the function would be useless.

I think you need to use either memcpy or strncpy to do that.

memcpy, not really. strncpy is always a good idea though.

Also I don''t see anywhere where you allocate any memory for the Head->word array.

That does indeed looks like a problem.

LordN - You should consider using the standard C++ list class instead of making your own.

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Is this some homework where you need to write your own linked list implementation? If not, there''s no compelling reason to not use STL.

In any case, consider making some abstraction. A linked list is a generic term and does typically not have methods such as "AddWord". If you extend your application and need a linked list to keep track of DVDs, airplanes, cars or whatever, you cannot re-use this list. Making a templated version would help.
Thanks for your help. I allocated memory for the word array and know the glitch is gone. I have never heard of STL, could someone elaborate?
http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/

A simple example...

#include <iostream>#include <string>#include <list> //one of many STL header filesusing namespace std;int main( ... ){  cout << "Enter some things... Type 'quit' on it's own line to quit." << endl;  list< string > mylist;  while( true )  {    string input;    cin >> input;    mylist.push_back( input );    if (input == "quit")    {      cout << "You typed:" << endl;      list< string >::iterator listitem = mylist.begin();      while (listitem != mylist.end())      {        cout << (*listitem) << endl;        ++listitem;      }      return 0;    }  }}

edit: added example
edit: fixed quotes

[edited by - MaulingMonkey on July 28, 2003 2:38:28 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement