ID3DXSPRITE as interface?

Started by
4 comments, last by Neen10do 20 years, 8 months ago
i know that the d3dxsprite interface has the ability to use LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7 and copy them to a direct3d device. my question is this. because it is using dd surfaces, is it any faster than directdraw? also, since it is an interface, i shouldnt have one of them in each sprite object, should i? it was designed to send the sprite information to the interface, and batch sprit print outs with 1 inteface?
----------------------i code therefore i am.Aero DX - Coming to a bored Monitor near you!
Advertisement
ID3DXSprite is not a sprite, it is an interface that renders sprites. You''re much better off learning how to do textured quads, at least then you gain a basic understanding of how to work d3d.
that would take a really long time to develop a working, animating sprite class that way. i know that i would be better off, but thats not what im looking for right now. i want the easyness of 2d, but the speed of 3d and im going th use d3dxsprite, my question is that because you can pass different surfaces in it, do i only need 1 interface for the whole game, or should i have oen for each sprite?
----------------------i code therefore i am.Aero DX - Coming to a bored Monitor near you!
One interface for the whole game, not one for each sprite.
MSN Messenger: Thomas_Szafran@hotmail.com
The ID3DXSprite contains a few bug/features which are unwanted.

Write your own....
______________________________ohh well what the heck lets try it?
Not to mention that d3dxsprite is slow! I would also recommend writing your own with textured quads. It''s worth it just for the experience it will give you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement