Trouble With DirectX on WinXP

Started by
2 comments, last by R67en 20 years, 8 months ago
Hey, I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble with game programming on Windows XP? I''ve been using both Visual C++ 6.0 and Borland C++Builder 6 without much success. I beleive I''ve correctly installed both compilers and directx, and setup the include directories correctly. I get unresolved external symbols with DirectDrawCreate, DirectDrawCreateEx, and IID_IDirectDraw7 when compiling source from various programming books. Using CBuilder, I can click ''add to project'' and manually add ddraw.lib and ddraw.h, which allows the code to compile and run, but hangs on the call to DirectDrawCreate(Ex). Im running a WindowsXP machine and thought that could be my trouble, since XP doesn''t process autoexec.bat and maybe my PATH isn''t set right o the include files. If anyone has had any problems, or success, let me know. Thanks.
Advertisement
Unresolved external symbols means you are not including the directories for DirectX. Add the Include directory (under the SDK folder) and the Lib directory to the ones that it searches for. Otherwise I''ve never had any problems under WinXP using Direct Draw or DirectX in general.
thanks for the help. I have the SDK files included in the include and library directories, and have moved them to the first in the list, and still no luck. Is there anything else I could have wrong? I''m new to VC++; What are the steps involved in creating a new DirectX application? thanks for the help.
In MSCVC++, all you should have to do is go to project->settings I believe, and look for a library tab. There should be a list of libraries already there. You need to add to that list ddraw.lib for DirectDraw, and dxguid.lib. (It''s been awhile since I''ve worked with it, so I''m not 100% sure) I don''t think adding to the project directly is what you want, at least not how I''ve done it in MSVC++ 6
Peon

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement