DirectX or OpenGL???

Started by
30 comments, last by zip_256 20 years, 8 months ago
Hello everyone. I am a somewhat new programmer to the Windows environment, I''ve played around in DOS for years, and I was wondering what would be best to learn for game programming, DirectX or OpenGL. Which is easiest to learn? Which one is most powerful? I know that DX only works in a Windows environment, but how adaptable is OpenGL? Would it be incredibly hard to learn both or should I just focus on getting good at one? I want to eventually work my way up to 3D games; I know that DX has D3D that makes 3D games somewhat more simple, but does OpenGL have any type of 3D acceleration/support? I know basically what DX is capable of, but what all can OpenGL do? Thanks for your advice in advance!
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-Brent
Advertisement
*Puts on fire proof suit*

There''s no town drunk here, we all take turns.
Velocity Gaming Force
umm... OpenGL == DirectX, please don''t ask for any more details. whatever u can do in DX, u can do in OpenGL. etc. both are the same, support same cards (only OGL goes further than just Windows), etc.

so YOU pick yourself. =\

http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=01 - getting started w/ OpenGL

whoever''s a DX person, give him a beginner DX tutorial so that he could choose between the two.

/me hide under a flame resistant rock.

---
shurcool
wwdev
quote:Original post by Ekim_Gram
*Puts on fire proof suit*

There's no town drunk here, we all take turns.
Velocity Gaming Force

lol, Yea this is the mother of flame wars...

The quick answer for this would be just choose between the one you feel most confortable with, the answer to your question is in this site(I believe it's in the FAQs section not sure though). You can make a search on the forum this question comes up all the time so a lot will come up...

[edited by - FtMonkey on July 27, 2003 11:41:13 PM]
The monkeys are listening...
*sob* How come no one ever remembers my article...

(see sig)

learn openGL from the nehe site above.
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
I see that the debate is a delicate topic, lol. I am reading the artical that Promit posted and it is very. Sorry for clouding the forum with this topic Thanks for your quick replies though!

-zip
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-Brent
very helpful... I should proofread sometimes..
quote:Original post by zip_256
DirectX or OpenGL??

Yes, that would be a good choice.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
OpenGL == Cross Platform
DirectX == Window$

OpenGL == C
DirectX == C++

Make your choice. Personally I think OpenGL is the best choice simply because it is cross-platform.
OpenGL Revolutions http://students.hightechhigh.org/~jjensen/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement