Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bioagentX

Which book?

I''ve recently been reading some programming stuff and have started to learn about the complexities of game-class frameworks. However, I seem to get confused as to the original structure of a program after I see tons of inherited classes and polymorphism. I am wondering if there is a book that will help teach how to create good reusable game classes, and how to design a class architecture. I heard code complete was good, but I''m not sure if this book adresses some of these necessary issues. I am wondering what you all think and how you overcame this problem. Any response is always appreciated. --BioagentX

Well, you're asking for a how-to for a game specific topic. This is of course impossible to find since each game and each engine is built up using the concepts and design ideas of which the author of the code has choosen based on the experience from such person.

I would say it would be silly just copying another persons experience and ideas and try to use it directly without any though put down to it, you should always try to set up your own mind.

For great ideas though, I would really look into the enginilarity (did I get the name right? hehe) series which is publicy going on here on gamedev right now. He seems to be on target and have great ideas in those.

When you get the bits together as for the programming part, and want to evolve into a better programmer in general, I think UML has some nice structure for you to work from which can really help you design your code before you start typing it. UML takes down the development process time in a way that its hard to imagine. Basicly you get solid, expandable and bugfree code, but you will end up spending as little as 30% of your time actually programming - that's why I think most hobby programmers don't like it :-)

Another way to improve is to learn more algoritms etc but that should be no news for you I hope :-)

Personally, I don't read books until somebody threatens me with a gun (I'm just not a books person) but have managed to read a lot and attended to a lot of classes throughout the years to learn this stuff. You mention code complete, and that is by many concidered to be a very good book to read anyway, so I guess it will be worth the money to buy it and read throuh it, you can always look up some thoughts on the book on the net. Here's one: http://www.flipcode.com/cgi-bin/msg.cgi?showThread=Book-CodeComplete&forum=rotd&id=-1

Good luck
Albert Sandberg

[edited by - thec on July 28, 2003 2:46:21 AM]

<< I heard code complete was good, but I'm not sure if this book adresses some of these necessary issues. >>

I have the book Code Complete by Steve McConnell if that's the book you mean. It has a couple pages on Object-Oriented design, but the book contains examples of good and bad coding in all types of languages, most of them not object oriented (C, Pascal, Fortran, etc). The book was published in 1993, before Java became popular. It has a few C++ class examples. Its a book describing large-scale software construction not geared to any particular language.

Phil P

[edited by - PhilVaz on July 28, 2003 5:17:16 PM]