Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bonespiritd2

Dragging objects in 3D

Hi, I am trying to do something really simple. Let''s say you have a cube drawn on the screen and I am trying to be able the grab a corner of that cube and let''s say resize it. My problem is that I am getting incorrect coordinates from the system (using visual c++ 6), which I cannot really use and I guess there must be some algorithm to convert the coordinates I am getting to the coordinates I really need. I am kind of new here soe sorry if this question has been already answered (I looked through some of the posts and I couldn''t find anything). Thanks a lot.

First of all, we need what coordinate system you are using? And what API are you using? There may be a simple function call that will do it for you.

And is your problem detecting where the click is occurring?

first of all, thanks for the reply...

well i am using windows api if that''s what you''re asking. i am writing it in visual c++ 6. but i woulnd''t mind converting it or using glut if it''s easier.

to be more specific what my problem is:
let''s say i have a function drawCube() with some preset parameters. then, a mouse cursor would be showing and you would be able click any of the cornerns which would call some other function to check if a corner was clicked. for that i need the position of the cursor when clicked and then throughout the time the cursor is moving. i was trying to do it in my WindowProc() fucntion to check for some kind of messages like WM_LBUTTONDOWN and/or WM_MOUSEMOVE but LOWORD(lParam) and HIWORD(lParam) give me coordinates like 240,548 and I need something like 1.3,0.7. I hope you know what I mean. As I said, if there is an easier way of doing it using glut I would like to hear that solution as well. Please let me know if I should be more specific on some of the things I mentioned.

THanks a bunch!