Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ratterbox

How to overcome a coding block???

For about 2 months now I have been working on a 2D RPG in DirectX 8(Direct Draw 7), and have come to a huge coding block. I was wondering how to overcome it. I have got most of the basics done. You can walk around, talk to npcs, buy items, implemented a scripting engine, but cannot bring myself to program the battle engine. I WANT to finish it, but somehow I cant bring myself to do it??? Has anybody a cure for this disease???

Try and think of a fun way to do it. Then, experiment a bit, and then code. For me, I always think, "I''ve gotta do this!", grab a Dr. Pepper (TM), unplug the phone and hunker down for the long haul.

Usually i try to replicate a coding problem in the real world, but in this case, hmm...
I don''t think battling real people will do you any good

Sorry, i have no answer for you though...

Think about exactly what''s needed from your battle engine.

Start simple, add bits on. Start with just a camera centering and the rendering of some bad guys, then do some status bars and the like..just do it bit by bit, or rather, byte by byte lol.

Just start coding the class structure for the battle engine if you are OK with using Object Oriented. Define the class, like the variables needed, functions etc...

Then slowly implement the functions whenever u feel like it.Slowly, you will finish it.

If you ever end up working for a company, this can''t happen . I''ve been working for a software company during the summer, and I''d die to be programming a battle engine there. So how do you get over the programming blocks? Easy,

1.) Start doing it early in the day.
2.) When you can''t stand it any longer, take a 15-20 minute break but then get right back at it.
3.) Punish yourself if you don''t get it done by a time frame, so at least you have some pressure.

---
Brent Gunning | My Site