Debug or retail??

Started by
1 comment, last by Elite19 20 years, 8 months ago
Hi, this question has probably been asked b4 but the search thing isnt working. I''m new to direct x developing and i was wondering which version of the sdk i should install. I should have asked this b4 i installed it but i already installed the debug version now i''m wondering if that was the right thing to do?
--------------------------------------------------------------------- There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those who don't.
Advertisement
The sdk itself doesn''t have debug/retail versions - it''s just the help files etc. It''s the DirectX libraries that can choose between and you should have no problem switching between the two modes. In control panel there should be a DirectX entry now with an option to select which option you want (I think this only appears if you install the debug version initially). You can reinstall back and forth as much as you want.

For developing you probably want to use the debug libaries as they tell you stuff like why things aren''t working. However they aren''t always a good indivation of how fast your program would be in the real world so you should swap to retial drivers every now and then to see how fast it really is.

There are also some handy options in the DirectX control panel thing, like how much information DirectX gives you while running and so on.

Hope this helps.
Thanks d000hg, just what I needed
--------------------------------------------------------------------- There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those who don't.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement