• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gamelife

skinned mesh + vertex shader + shadow volume

This topic is 5436 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to implement stencil shadow volume on the skinned mesh sample given in DXSDK9. I understand how to render the skinned mesh using vertex shader (as given in the sample). Now, in order to use the vs to form shadow volume, I need to generate extra geometry (degenerated quads) on the silhouette edges. But I don''t know how to do this on a loaded ID3DXMesh object. Anyone has ideas? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
ATi has a nice vertex shader driven depth fail stencil buffer shadow volume demo that with a little work can be converted for ID3DXMesh use. if i can do it anyone can. it uses their own mesh class but it''s pretty easy to convert the code (i think it was only one function/method, the one that takes the mesh data and creates the shadow vertex/index buffer data out of it.)

It may help to know some things about ID3DXMesh:

There is only one VB and one IB in a mesh. The IB is organized as a triangle list, not a strip, so working with faces is really easy (no degenerates).

You can directly access those buffers no problem.

I like pie.

Hmm, on second thought, I doubt using vertex shader to do shadow volume on skinned mesh would in fact degrade performance. That would require a lot more passes of skinning model-space vertices to world-space (1st pass on normal rendering, 2nd pass on shadow volume generation --- 2nd pass even include many extra ''useless'' vertices for the degen quads).

I think it''s better using software skinning instead of vertex shader for this purpose...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!