• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dominik_78

3 Dimensional Array in CPP

This topic is 5445 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I can''t find a good advice for that so I try it here. I need a 3Dim Array in CPP. Already know hoe to create it using:
typedef unsigned short** ppushort;
typedef unsigned short* pushort;

ppushort *dynarray;
So I create the Array doing:
dynarray = new ppushort[dim1count];
for (int i = 0; i < dim1count; i++) {
   dynarray[i] = new pushort[dim2count];
   for (int j = 0; j < dim2count; j++) {
      dynarray[i][j] = new unsigned short[dim3count];
   }
}
so fare so good. Know I would like to know: Because I do not need all the elements for dim2count and dim3count (just making sure that I allocate enough for all dim1count''s) 1. Can I allocate the dim2 and dim3 more dynamic - say let the array look like: dynarray[0][0][0] dynarray[0][0][1] dynarray[0][1][0] dynarray[0][1][1] dynarray[0][1][2] dynarray[0][2][0] dynarray[0][2][1] this would save me much memory - because of the amount of data! 2. If I can create the Array as I would like it to have - can I determine the size of one dimention (dynarray[0][0] = 2; dynarray[0][1] = 3; dynarray[0][2] = 2)? thanks for your help.

Advertisement
If I understand you correctly, then no.

an array [x][y] will contain x sets of y columns of data.

so if you needed

1 1 1 1 1
2 2 . . .
3 3 3 3 .
4 4 4 4 4

and didn''t need the entries marked with a ., then you still have to allocate memory for them. (I know my example is 2d, but I am sure that you get the idea.)

For a 2d array, you could have an array of vectors, where each vector is a single row of data, and can be of variable length. (In fact you could have a vector of vectors to give a very dynamic 2d array.)

If you want a completely fluid 3d array, you could expand on this, and have a vector containing vectors of the 2d array, but my brain is starting to hurt now.

Bp.

The default behavior of C/C++ will not let you change the size of one dimension across other dimensions. However, if you are careful about tracking memory, you can easily write an array class which allocates a heap of memory equal to dim1size * dim2size * dim3size * sizeof(data). You may even be able to use an overloaded [] operator, but you''ll most likely have to settle for an accessor function.

thanks Bagpuss.

That's what I thought! Damit.
1. Dim about 400.
2. Dim max at 150 but most of the time about 1-4
3. Dim max at 200 but most of the time about 1-30

so i am wasting memory (about 30 MB surly)

so no good solution like a simple vector-class?
or can you point me to the concret name - I am in Watcom 11.0 for this. but there is surly a vector-class in it.
could a class be something like this:

class A {
private:
B *dim1;
}

class B {
private:
C *dim2;
}

class C {
private:
unsinged short val;
}

this would let me make classes and points to classes to my data? and if so? can i make that as i need it (you know the array you draw with .)

EDIT: BTW: I am doing this in a DLL. ;-)

[edited by - Dominik_78 on July 28, 2003 8:47:20 AM]

...or make a 2-dimensional array of a class, and the class itself saves the 3rd dimension column - so you can "ask" the class, how long each 3rd dimension column is - but with this way your memory won''t be addressed at the same place and thinkgs like myarray[0][2][7] are dead then - but you can type this, if you make it this way:
myarray[0][2].GetMemory()[7], for example.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!