Frame Rate

Started by
6 comments, last by Moquan 20 years, 8 months ago
I''ve capped my work in progress to only display 30 frames per second. For some reason, I get 30 FPS sometimes, but 22 most of the time... what could be causing this? I''m working in Direct-X and I *think* I''m in release mode. This happens when I debug compile and release compile. -Moquan
- Moquan
Advertisement
You sure it''s not your computer. Your computer might not be fast enough to run it or maybe your trying to display too many things at a time.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
I''m pretty sure it''s not my computer. I''m not displaying all that much. It goes about the same speed with 15 sprites and 100 sprites. Also, it''s a P4 2.8 with a GeForce FX.

-Moquan
- Moquan
- Windowed or Fullscreen?

- How have you "capped" the frame rate? VSYNC?

- Could the task quantum have an effect here?

- What''s the refresh rate of your monitor set to?

--
Simon O''Connor
ex -Creative Asylum
Programmer &
Microsoft MVP

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

It''s windowed currently. I set a framerate to be 33 ticks. So when the game loop is processed and it''s been 33 ticks (milliseconds) then it can process the frame. Not sure what a task quantum is.. hmm.. I think my screen is at 60 hz

-Moquan
- Moquan
Haven''t you considered that your program is simply unoptimized/slow?
Brian J
well, yes, I''ve concidered that, actually, but then why would it reach the 30 fps sometimes (A) not vary when I add or take away sprites (b) and run fine on a different computer (just tested).

-Moquan
- Moquan
It runs fine on a different computer? You mean it is capped at exactly 30FPS? then what''s it''s your computer that''s not managing enough FPS to reach 30...

otherwise, you have to consider that depending on how much drawing the render routine has to do, depends on where it is looking.. looking into blank space gives you more fps than looking at triangles. Maybe you should use some frustrum culling or BSP if you don;t already...

-----------------------
"Without a sense of humour we couldn''t react to a lot of things"
-----------------------"Without a sense of humour we couldn't react to a lot of things"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement