Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Niklas2k2

Turn radius on cars ?

Hello. Does anybody know on which wheel or on which part of the car you measure a cars turn radius ? Is it on one of the back wheels, front wheels or a average somewhere along the car ? /Niklas

////
Definition: The diameter of the smallest circle in which a vehicle can complete a U-turn. Turning radius depends on the wheelbase of the vehicle (longer vehicles usually need more space to turn around), and maximum steering angularity.
////

That still doesn''t say exactly where the circle is measured on the car but I think you measure it from the middle of the wheel base.

/Niklas

I interpreted that to mean the size of the circle in which the car must be, not the size of the circle that some point on the car's body traces out when attemptign the manouvre. eg. if there are tall walls that the car can't pass through surrounding the space where the car is trying to turn, the smallest radius of such a space is the turning radius. If you defined the turning radius as the radius of an arc that the innermost edge of the vehicle traces, then it might end up being negative for some vehicles, as some vehicles might be able to turn in place, if you follow what I mean.

I suppose this might be equivalent to saying the radius is the radius of the arc traced out by the outermost edge of the car in some cases, but there are probly exceptions.

Be advised that I don't know what I'm talking about.

[edited by - Geoff the Medio on July 28, 2003 8:47:35 PM]

Here's a guess...

form a circle touching a front tire, where that front tire's axis of rotation matches the normal of the circle at point of contact... now engarge the circle's radius until it passes through the corresponding rear tire.

[edited by - Nypyren on July 29, 2003 2:45:00 AM]