• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

headshot

linker error:arready difined

This topic is 5537 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

well, i declare some globals in a header, and then i intend to use them in the code, but when i get to the linker, it gives me this error, TricksMainGame.obj : error LNK2005: "struct HINSTANCE__ * hinstance_app" (?hinstance_app@@3PAUHINSTANCE__@@A) already defined in TricksInti.obj TricksMainGame.obj : error LNK2005: "struct HWND__ * main_window_handle" (?main_window_handle@@3PAUHWND__@@A) already defined in TricksInti.obj it gives it to me twice, i have 3 cpp files and i gives it to me 1 time for each, never gets to the other files) i can't of declared it more i then once(i looked, + the app is an empty shell right now, there is only some windows setup code and a few functions that have nothing in them.) here is where i the stuff in the .h extern HWND main_window_handle = NULL; // globally track main window extern HINSTANCE hinstance_app = NULL; // globally track hinstance [edited by - headshot on July 28, 2003 2:17:48 PM]

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by headshot
well, i declare some globals in a header, and then i intend to use them in the code, but when i get to the linker, it gives me this error,

extern HWND main_window_handle = NULL; // globally track main window
extern HINSTANCE hinstance_app = NULL; // globally track hinstance

[edited by - headshot on July 28, 2003 2:17:48 PM]

Should this NOT be:
In header file:

extern HWND main_window_handle ; // globally track main window
extern HINSTANCE hinstance_app ; // globally track hinstance

In source file:

HWND main_window_handle = NULL; // globally track main window
HINSTANCE hinstance_app = NULL; // globally track hinstance

defined globally of course.

quote:
Original post by Fruny
See ''Header Files'' link in my signature.

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]

Can''t agree more with Fruny.
THanks for the pointer to the excellent article.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!