Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

headshot

linker error:arready difined

well, i declare some globals in a header, and then i intend to use them in the code, but when i get to the linker, it gives me this error, TricksMainGame.obj : error LNK2005: "struct HINSTANCE__ * hinstance_app" (?hinstance_app@@3PAUHINSTANCE__@@A) already defined in TricksInti.obj TricksMainGame.obj : error LNK2005: "struct HWND__ * main_window_handle" (?main_window_handle@@3PAUHWND__@@A) already defined in TricksInti.obj it gives it to me twice, i have 3 cpp files and i gives it to me 1 time for each, never gets to the other files) i can't of declared it more i then once(i looked, + the app is an empty shell right now, there is only some windows setup code and a few functions that have nothing in them.) here is where i the stuff in the .h extern HWND main_window_handle = NULL; // globally track main window extern HINSTANCE hinstance_app = NULL; // globally track hinstance [edited by - headshot on July 28, 2003 2:17:48 PM]

quote:
Original post by headshot
well, i declare some globals in a header, and then i intend to use them in the code, but when i get to the linker, it gives me this error,

extern HWND main_window_handle = NULL; // globally track main window
extern HINSTANCE hinstance_app = NULL; // globally track hinstance

[edited by - headshot on July 28, 2003 2:17:48 PM]

Should this NOT be:
In header file:

extern HWND main_window_handle ; // globally track main window
extern HINSTANCE hinstance_app ; // globally track hinstance

In source file:

HWND main_window_handle = NULL; // globally track main window
HINSTANCE hinstance_app = NULL; // globally track hinstance

defined globally of course.

quote:
Original post by Fruny
See ''Header Files'' link in my signature.

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]

Can''t agree more with Fruny.
THanks for the pointer to the excellent article.