What to code?

Started by
8 comments, last by shakazed 20 years, 8 months ago
You have any ideas on what to do after you´ve done the basics (from initializing to standard meshes)??? I wanna apply some basic physics and really get a feel of how it is to work with the third dimension. I´ve been using Direct3D for quite a while and think I know enough to start working on a serious project. If anything pops into mind please tell me. Bad Monkey Productions
Advertisement
Why not write a verry BASIC gravity function?
sumthin like:
int gamemain(){camera.PositionY-=1;return(1);}

:-D
Of course, you would have to write some terrain collision or sumthin. just a suggestion :-P

Quantum

[edited by - D_JildQuantum on July 28, 2003 4:29:05 PM]
Quantum
Actually, I was thinking of some kind of physics lab. One where you could do some simple experiments, like gravity simulations on different planets etc.

[edited by - shakazed on July 28, 2003 12:49:05 AM]

Pssst.... Use OpenGL not Direct3D

~SPH

AIM ME: aGaBoOgAmOnGeR
I would suggest animating simple objects.... give them velocity, rotation and give your camera manual control so you can wander around the new world.

Just a suggestion.

Stevie

Don''t follow me, I''m lost.
StevieDon't follow me, I'm lost.
A couple Ideas...

In my Open GL class once we learned enough to draw a 3D Scene we did a little world you can move around in. You can render different meshes and walk around. In mine I had terrain I could walk around on and I could jump and the camera was controlled by actual gravity.

If you want to go more physics wise I see something more like bowling minus the pins(or if you want =) interacting with each other. Or maybe just a simple two tanks/large cannons playing a bit of shoot in the air and hit the other one with wind n such. *shrugs*

*wonders why ShmeeBegek who suggests using OpenGL which is totally irrelevant to this topic is in a D3D forum =)*

// Full Sail Student with a passion for games
// This post in no way indicates my being awake when writing it
// Full Sail graduate with a passion for games// This post in no way indicates my being awake when writing it
What I did (and loved it) when I wanted to get into physics, was designed a small 3D room (can''t move the camera) that had several scenarios. In each, it would be something unique, i.e. dominoes, spinning tops, bowling, pool-table, etc. that were completely modeled by physics. For example, with the tops, I would set them spinning, and then the game would calculate the required decelleration due to friction, and the gyroscopic effect would keep it upright, and evenutally it would fall, etc. The cool part is that the mouse is a small ball (or a big one, whichever ) that has infinite mass (and is thus immovable by anything in the room, but the small ball can move ANYTHING) so you can hit another ball full on and smash it into another set, etc. Hint: my favorite scene was one with a tower made of small sticks, if you left the tower alone (i.e. didn''t move the mouse to hit it or anything), it would slowly fall down by itself, due to the gravity pushing the small pieces about. It was really alot of fun!

Chris Pergrossi
My Realm | "Good Morning, Dave"
Chris PergrossiMy Realm | "Good Morning, Dave"
Hmm, you gave me some good ideas. I will try some of them out. I made a first person camera earöier but without the jumping part Anyhow, thanks for the feedback.
How about a 3d scorched earth variant? have a camera view for each player that switches on that player's turn. the player must then select the power of his shot, the barrel's y-angle, and the barrel's x-angle. Then just give the bullet the power for its velocity, fill in your directional vector based on the angles, apply gravity and a bit of explosion splash radius and you're done. To make it a little cooler, instead of just allowing the player to enter a number for power, give him a little power guage that goes up as long as you hold the button down and fires when you release it.

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...

[edited by - CyberSlag5k on July 30, 2003 10:50:57 AM]

[edited by - CyberSlag5k on July 30, 2003 10:52:43 AM]
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
Yeah, that´s a great idea. Now I have to much to look into Will look through what would give me the most ecperience and start some designing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement