bitset question

Started by
8 comments, last by original vesoljc 20 years, 8 months ago
let say: bitset<256> Status; how should be the flags defined in order to still use bitwise operators? like this? #define FLAG1 0x0000 #define FLAG2 0x0001 now, when i want to pass a combo of flags to the Status, i say: SetStatus(const UInt64& lNewStatus); SetStatus(FLAG1 | FLAG2); but this still keeps me under 64 bit limit (because of the 64bit int). how should i pass flags?
Abnormal behavior of abnormal brain makes me normal...
Advertisement
Flags should be other bitsets.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
I use them like this. May not be the best way but it works fine.

enum SampleFlags{    SF_DUMMY01 = (1<<1),    SF_DUMMY02 = (1<<2),    SF_DUMMY03 = (1<<3),    SF_DUMMY03 = (1<<4)};//void SomeFunction(int Flags){    if(Flags & SF_DUMMY01)    {         //DoSomething    }}//SomeFunction(SF_DUMMY01 | SF_DUMMY02);//

I don't know if thats a good example, but it should show what I'm talking about...

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

[edited by - UltimaX on July 28, 2003 5:40:18 PM]
@Sneftel

not sure i understand u...
could u give an example?

@UltimaX

void SomeFunction(int Flags)

if int = 32bits, that only gives u 32 flags...
i need more, even more than 64 (uint64)
std::vector<bool>// compiles down to a bitset class// you can access each element by using the [] operators.//you can use it like this..std::vector<bool> myBitset(n);enum {  FLAG1 = 0,  FLAG2,  ...  FLAGn}if( myBitset[FLAG1] ){  // do whatever}

A GOOD friend will come bail you out of jail...
but, a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn, we fucked up."
Ingite 3D Game Engine Home -- Just click it

[edited by - silvermace on July 28, 2003 5:50:22 PM]
"I am a donut! Ask not how many tris/batch, but rather how many batches/frame!" -- Matthias Wloka & Richard Huddy, (GDC, DirectX 9 Performance)

http://www.silvermace.com/ -- My personal website
@silvermace

access is not the issue here...

what i''m trying to do:
class CStatus{//con,desprivate:std::bitset<256>   mStatus;};

before, i had this:
UInt64 mStatus;
and could do this:
SetStatus(UInt64 flags)
{
mStatus = flags;
}

AddStatus(UInt64 flags)
{
mStatus = mStatus | flags;
}

the question is, how do i do this with bitset (and ability to go over 64 bits)???
quote:
AddStatus(UInt64 flags)
{
mStatus = mStatus | flags;
}

void AddStatus(const std::bitset<256> &flags){    mStatus = mStatus | flags;}
I gotta ask: under what circumstances do you have 256 separate flags, which don't take to being referenced by number rather than by name?

[edited by - sneftel on July 28, 2003 6:20:21 PM]
quote:
I gotta ask: under what circumstances do you have 256 separate flags, which don''t take to being referenced by number rather than by name?

my knowledge of english isn''t perfect.
so, i dont understand the second part of the question
"which dont take to being" ???
256 was an example, i found out that 64 wouldn''t be enough...
that''s why i''m switching to bitset

Well, here''s the thing. If you''re using named flags, then obviously each of those flags has a separate meaning: You''ll have, say, one flag named FLAG_DEAD, one named FLAG_RED_HAIRED, one named FLAG_HUNGRY, etc. Do you actually have 256 of them? or are they really more like FLAG_HAS_KEY_0, FLAG_HAS_KEY_1, FLAG_HAS_KEY_2, etc?

well, they all have names/diffrent meanings. i don't have YET 256 flags, but like i said, after a quick calculation, i found out that 64 just wont cut it. so, how they say it? better safe then sorry???

btw: ur solution works perfectly, tnx

one more btw:
is there a faster/better solution?
INLINE axpConcreteStatus& axpConcreteStatus::operator -=								(const std::bitset<axpStatusSize>& lStatus){	std::bitset<axpStatusSize> lRightInvert;	std::bitset<axpStatusSize> lAllSet;	lAllSet.set();	lRightInvert	= lStatus ^ lAllSet;	mStatus			&= lRightInvert;	return(*this);}

[edited by - original vesoljc on July 28, 2003 7:31:20 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement