• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Transparent Blitting Questions

This topic is 5325 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, according to the book this should work, and yet it doesn''t. I was just wondering if I was missing any obvious steps. My goal is to have a texture mapped to a polygon, and have a transparent hole through the middle of the texture. I am using DirectX 8 D3D.Currently, these are the function calls relating to this goal. These are my render states setup: pD3DDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHATESTENABLE, TRUE); pD3DDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHAREF, 0x08); pD3DDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHAFUNC, D3DCMP_GREATEREQUAL); Here is my load texture func: if(FAILED(D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx(pD3DDevice, "GRASS2.bmp",D3DX_DEFAULT,D3DX_DEFAULT,D3DX_DEFAULT,0, D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8, D3DPOOL_MANAGED, D3DX_FILTER_TRIANGLE, D3DX_FILTER_TRIANGLE, D3DCOLOR_ARGB(255,0,0,0),NULL,NULL, &pD3DT))) then i just draw my polygons with the textures on them. The book says that any black i had in the texture should be transparent, yet it isnt. I have a big black circle, and its still there! ARG!

Advertisement
Not positive ( i uninstalled the sdk so i could watch jay and silent bob ) but i think the use of D3DCOLOR_ARGB(255,0,0,0) should be D3DCOLOR_ARGB(0, 0, 0, 0). A value of 255 means full alpha, or opaque.

Nope, that does nothing. I believe that it needs to be set to 255 there though, because I am reading from a bitmap and that is its maximum value. Thanks for responding though

You need to tell DX where the alpha is coming from... and you need a black hole in your bitmap.

pDev->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_SELECTARG1);
pDev->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE);
pDev->SetTextureStageState(1, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_DISABLE);

And yeah, color should be 255,0,0,0 (to replace black). Setting to 0 as funky suggested means don''t color key.

• Advertisement