[java] japplet display not displaying buttons??

Started by
3 comments, last by Lineage 20 years, 8 months ago
i have a simple program which displays buttons at the bottom. is it just me or are the buttons not showing up!?? i have to randomly hover over the buttons and click them for them to show up. this makes no sense. go to www.geocities.com/dwu03 - the second applet thats not centered is this one. i have no clue why it isn't showing up import java.awt.*; import java.awt.event.*; import javax.swing.*; public class Editor extends JApplet implements ActionListener { private JTextArea textArea; private JButton saveButton, loadButton; public void init() { try{ UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName()); Container c = this.getContentPane(); c.setLayout(new BorderLayout()); textArea = new JTextArea(20, 20); JScrollPane scrollPane = new JScrollPane(textArea, JScrollPane.VERTICAL_SCROLLBAR_AS_NEEDED, JScrollPane.HORIZONTAL_SCROLLBAR_AS_NEEDED); JPanel buttons = new JPanel(); saveButton = new JButton("Save"); loadButton = new JButton("Load"); buttons.add(loadButton); buttons.add(saveButton); c.add(scrollPane, "Center"); c.add(buttons, "South"); } catch(Exception e) {} } public void paint(Graphics g) { } public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent e) { } } [edited by - lineage on July 28, 2003 8:09:40 PM]
Advertisement
It''s not just you. I''ve had similar problems. What I usually do is stay away from panels as much as possible. They give me a lot of trouble, especially with guis.
the weird thing is, i used a billion panels and the exact same technique in the applet that showed up perfectly fine. i know there's usually a repainting problem, but im having a problem with just initializing. -___-

[edited by - lineage on July 28, 2003 8:46:33 PM]
I see two buttons, Load and Save.
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer,fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about thedouble-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon... -- Terry Pratchett
Your problem is that you are overriding paint(Graphics g) in your applet, but not doing anything with it. You should not override paint unless you are going to be doing some custom painting. Then if you do override paint, you have to call paint for JApplet so that it can draw all of its components.

public void paint(Graphics g) {  .  . custom painting code  .  super.paint(g);}

You can call the super.paint anywhere in there, but you must call it if you want JButtons etc.. to be drawn.

First make it work,
then make it fast.

--Brian Kernighan

"I’m happy to share what I can, because I’m in it for the love of programming. The Ferraris are just gravy, honest!" --John Carmack: Forward to Graphics Programming Black Book
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement