• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WebsiteWill

LUA Question

This topic is 5445 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Right now I am working on a network module that will be used in my game. The module requires that packets be wrapped inside of a certain class type and each packet has virtual overridden functions for handling the data specific to the type of packet. As of now, to add a new packet type I have to load up the desired .cpp file, add the new packet class and then recompile. I''m thinking that there may be a way to allow me to enter new packets via a script. Also I am thinking that it might make things easier to edit (like if I decide variable x can be a short instead of an int). Have this scripted would make this easier and would guarantee not having to recompile when i want to add or change such things. OTOH, this code is pretty much a one time deal except for tweaking. Adding new packets is something that will occurr rarely except for cases like if I want to expand the game in some way at a later time. Another option would be to place all of the packet specifications into a .dll. That way if I need to add or change specific packets then all I''ll have to recompile is the dll itself and the overall game would not need recompilation. Right now I;m leaning more towards the .dll option. I''ll be using scripts later on but not sure if I need to do it for this. Any thoughts? Thanks, Webby

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!