• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

neonstar

quake MD2 files...

This topic is 6722 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i was wondering if it was lawful to use the MD2 file format in a commercial program without iD Software''s consent. i''d figure it would be, but since people have figured out the format, how easy would it be to spot that certain model format in a game? i figure if someone REALLY wanted to know, they could just open the binary file in a text editor and check for file tags... just a question... david

Advertisement
If you''re doing a commercial program, make your own format. If you can use the MD2 format, it would be simple to make your own, and you wouldn''t be limited to the footsteps of id software.
As far as your question goes, it would be impossible to tell what format the file is by looking at the model. I could make a 3DS or OBJ file that would look just like an MD2 model.

-BacksideSnap-

thanks, BS. i think what i''ll do is just use the MD2 format for model creation with MilkShape3D and then make my own editor with extended info for my engine and make it convert the MD2 format to my own. that would be a bit easier and cheaper than making models with 3DS and loading their format, plus i know the models will work great.

thanks,
david

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!