• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Star

Best way of coding a huge game.

This topic is 6542 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I am working on a huge game (well the biggest I have ever done) and was wondering, what is the best way to do it. should I write the entire code then compile, run it and test it or should I write a block or code say to produce the menu system and then compile, run it and test it and debug to make sure everything works as I code. The latter method is the one I use but I was not sure if that is wrong in this sense that it may slow me down. Does anyone know how the big game companies do it? do they write the entire source code for their game and run it at the nd to find mistakes or do they split it in to blocks and test as they program to reduce having to do all that at the end. What are the advantages and disadvantages of theses methods and which ones do you guys use. Thanks in advance Dark Star

Advertisement
I would test each block of code.

say you have a 7000 line of code game.

then youy run it for the first time and it crashes. you have to go back through all that code and find the problem. With each block you would have much less

+-----------------------------
Come, help me program my 3d game, i just picked up a new copy of Learn C++ in 21 days!
--Unknown Newbie
+-----------------------------

I AM NOT REALLY GOOD WITH 3D GRAPHICS, I HAVE CODED AN ENGINE BUT WAS JUST WIRE FRAME. STILL LEARNING THOUGH. AT THE MOMENT I AM WORKING ON REMAKE OF SNAKE WHICH IS 2D. THANKS FOR THE OFFER. MAY BE I CAN WORK ON SOME BACKGROUND STUFF LIKE 2D GRAPHICS IMAGE PROGRAMMING OR WHAT EVER BUT NOT REALLY 3D BECAUSE I AM STILL TRYING TO LEARN 3D CODING.

Dark Star

Guest Anonymous Poster
hehe

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAA !!!!!!!
That is the funniest thing I have seen posted on here......
Dark Star sure is good for a laugh.......
That is his quote man........it is something a newbie put down and was pretty funny by itslef until you came along.......now it is a little bit funnier........

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
themGames Productions

Uh, I don''t think I should say anything about that second post there.

For your original question, though, I personally program it in stages. So my first goal might just be to get a landscape engine, then I add water, then trees, etc.

In other words, set milestones for yourself. It helps you when your trying to think of what you need to work on next.

--TheGoop

Dark Star - when somebody has a seperator at the bottom of their msg like that, it generally means a signature follows, and that signature happened to be a funny qoute.... I wonder if he''ll add that response to it

lol^^

Everyone debugs little bits of code at a time.
Writting a program, and then starting the debugging would take more time than testing each component.

I usually compile after every few lines (like saving in word after every line or two) to check for mistakes.

Now, obviously, this isnt the way to debug a final product - but while you''re working a small piece of it.

Also note that bad design is usually a bigger headache than poor implementation- god i hate maintaining old code...

Anyone have some keen insight on good code design - particular to gaming?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!