lots of files, why?

Started by
6 comments, last by stevenmarky 23 years, 10 months ago
Whenever I make a game, or a program it is only usually in one or two files, but all the proffesional games have hundreds of files in the games directory, why? Is it because it makes the game run quicker, or is it just the files from the level editor? //end
Advertisement
If you mean the number of files which get installed, then that really has no correlation to the number of source files. If you mean why do people you multiple source files, it is because breaking code into multiple files makes the organization much easier. For instance, if you put each class into its own file it makes it easier to find things and to reuse code in other projects. I am sure someone else with more time will elaborate further.

"If at first you DO succeed...try not to look astonished!!"

BASSOFeeSH@aol.com

BASSOFeeSH
><>
-- What would Sweetness do?
If you're talking about source files:

Your games are probably not as large as the proffesional's games (just guessing). For example, Unreal Tournament contains 300.000 lines of C++ code. Is it a good idea to have 300.000 lines of code in one or two files!? I think not!

- Muzzafarath

Mad House Software
The Field Marshals

Edited by - Muzzafarath on June 24, 2000 3:05:09 PM
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Now, if you''re NOT talking about source files, then you are talking about the game''s data files probably. The games have a lot of graphic, sound, and level data (and sometimes AI scripts and stuff) that it needs to access; it''s not all just program code. All the other files in the game directory are probably data files.
yes, i was talking about the games data files.

//end
Only because a game has a huge amount of data files, it doesn''t necessarily mean it stores more data than a game with only a few files.
Just take "DooM" as an example. DooM''s data is stored in one huge compressed file, called PWAD, but DooM uses pretty much sprites, audio files and so on.
If ID would have stored every data in one file, DooM''s directory would be flooded with files
I hope you got the idea...

And do never think a game is only "cool" as soon as it needs a pretty much memory, or it has very much files...the less files/memory you need, the better it is!

Yours,

Indeterminatus

--consuetudo est quasi altera natura hominum...
Indeterminatus--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
Actually, the DOOM data was called an IWAD file PWADs are player created wads. Just thought I''d clear up that worthless bit of knowledge
Thanx! I''m sorry to have given you wrong information!

Yours,

Indeterminatus

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
Indeterminatus--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement