Importing 3DSMAX asc files into usable geometry question

Started by
11 comments, last by arrogantgod 23 years, 9 months ago
I know exactly how to compute triangle normals, and how to ''average'' two normals to create smooth shading across edges etc etc - the problem is I don''t want to spend a lot of time coding ANOTHER editor/convertor. (See my D3D Utilities... thread).

Surely someone must have some tools they''re willing to share?

Failing that, how would you like to help me write an X-file editor? I only need to cover 3 criteria (again see the other thread) but maybe you''ll have other needs we can incorporate too.

Later

Matt

Check out my project at:www.btinternet.com/~Matthew.Bennett
Advertisement
Hi!
Calculating normals actually isn't that complicated. I do it at the time when I load the objects. For each triangle (stored in a face structure, that has three vertices in it), I use this function.

int findNormal(FACE *face){  VERTEX a, c, R;  float length;  // We sort of move the face in the origin (temporarily)..    a.x=face->v1.x-face->v2.x;  a.y=face->v1.y-face->v2.y;  a.z=face->v1.z-face->v2.z;  c.x=face->v3.x-face->v2.x;  c.y=face->v3.y-face->v2.y;  c.z=face->v3.z-face->v2.z;  // Count the cross product R of the aquired vertices a and c  R.x=(c.y*a.z) - (a.y*c.z);  R.y=(c.z*a.x) - (a.z*c.x);  R.z=(c.x*a.y) - (a.x*c.y);  // Then scale R to length of 1  length=(float)sqrt((pow(R.x,2) + pow(R.y,2) + pow(R.z,2)));  R.x=R.x/length;  R.y=R.y/length;  R.z=R.z/length;  // And that's our normal  // store it in the face struct  face->normal=R;  return 1;}    

Hope that helps, at least a little

Jarkko

Edited by - jalaine on June 27, 2000 4:25:20 AM
That helps greatly jalaine! Thanks!!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement