Using tabs (win32)

Started by
18 comments, last by Noods 20 years, 8 months ago
Im trying to create a window that will have tabs so I can group my output data. I have figured out how to create tabs as a child window, but I cant figure out how to add content each particular tab. Does the content for each tab have to be created in a child window of its respective tab? How do you tell your program to switch content when you select another tab? If you can help, please drop me some code to help me understand. Thanks!
Advertisement
Sure I know how to do what you are talking about, I am writing a sample code in MSVC at the moment, ill post it up when im finished.

- BlueDev
[/quote]
Thanks a million, I have been fiddling with the MSDN for hours and I cant figure it out!! >.<

Hope to hear from you soon!
Ok, now I finished the program and hopefully you are still around to enjoy it!!!

Download Code Here: Tab Control

Hope this helps alot, and if you have more questions about the Tab Conrol, feel free to ask.

- BlueDev
[/quote]
THank you so much!!! I have been trying to figure this out for a week!!! Im gonna go read through this now, Ill let you know if I find any more problems

By the way, where did you learn how to do this?
Hey, im glad that you''re so excited I was to when I learned, and I have also learned about the Tree Control if you want to learn that someday in the future.

Now to answer your question how I learned all this was the MSDN Library and a lot of R&D (Research and Development) It looks easy but it took me two weeks to learn that and a whole month for the Tree Control so after lots and lots of time stuff just starts forming together and yay it works, hehe. Well, ill do my best to answer any more questions you might have. I know alot about the Tab Control, but not everything

Keep in touch.

- BlueDev
[/quote]
I have my first question

I havent been able to compile the code yet, from reading over it, it seems that the code generates a dialog box with tabs, and changes the window name when each tab is selected?

My real question is, I see where the notify message tells the program where to change the name, but how would I:

1) Display items (buttons, fields etc) in a certain tab?
2) Alternate between the actual tab contents when the user changes tabs?

Thanks again for the help!
k im about ready to go to bed, so Ill see what I can do to help answer your questions tommorow. Hope to see you then.

- BlueDev
[/quote]
Sound good, night! Thanks again!
quote:Original post by Noods
I have my first question

I havent been able to compile the code yet, from reading over it, it seems that the code generates a dialog box with tabs, and changes the window name when each tab is selected?

My real question is, I see where the notify message tells the program where to change the name, but how would I:

1) Display items (buttons, fields etc) in a certain tab?
2) Alternate between the actual tab contents when the user changes tabs?

Thanks again for the help!

I think I can answer your questions. First and foremost understand that the TAB''s interface along with some of the newer interfaces such as the slider control, and spinner controls are literally hacked in. They were extended functionality which appeared in Visual C++ 5.0 and the dialog editor hasn''t gone through a decent re-write since. And believe you me it''s in dire need of one.

Onto your questions. Because of the above rather than being able to select a tab and draw your interface on the tab it self like you can in builder, C# or visual basic you are required to create a seperate dialog for each tab. You create your dialog fill it in with all the appropriate things such as buttons and box''s and the like. Because of this the each tab operates like it''s own dialog box, and requires a dialogproc to recieve any messages from the buttons and other items. Now when you switch tabs you use the createdialogindirect() function and display the correct dialog inside of the tab based on which tab was selected.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement