interface question

Started by
6 comments, last by Dreddnafious Maelstrom 20 years, 8 months ago
just wanted to make sure that you''re not querying the interface to test for integrity. basically i want to make sure im allowed to extend my dll interface, or do we need to spaghetti the code in one clump?
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
Advertisement
You should be able to extend it. . . so I''m told.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
you should be able to surely, just want to make sure i dont get DQ''d.
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
I apologize if I'm simply asking the original poster's question over again. I'm kinda new to all this myself, so I may not have recognized those words above as being the "same question". :D

Am I cheating if:

I add my own prewritten classes (timer, etc) into the Project?

I include extra header files in [BotName].h?

I add members to the [BotName] class and then reference them from inside Update()?

It seems like we'd be able to write our own classes to use in the project, so Update() doesn't become unwieldy. And if we are, I want to make sure I'm including them and using them in appropriate ("legal") places.

For example, I added a high res timer object to the public members of my bot class. I was going to initialize the timer in the bot constructor, but noticed that is in a "DO NOT EDIT" section of code. So I threw it in Init() instead (I suppose that's what it's there for), but just wanted to make sure I'm not breaking any rules.

Again, I apologize if this is repetitive for some people. I just want to be crystal clear. Thanks!

-K

[edited by - Kaalot on August 5, 2003 1:56:15 PM]
You are all correct and doing things "legally".

Admin for GameDev.net.

Also, can I code my own "bot control" function, so that i can gain control of my bot when i wish, I know something like this was brought up a while back, but I can''t find the thread. Being able to do this would be a wonderful debugging tool, but could be abused in the contest if someone''s bot can''t find the other, but the user grabs the controls and points it in the right direction.

(Stolen from Programmer One)
UNIX is an operating system, OS/2 is half an operating system, Windows is a shell, and DOS is a boot partition virus
quote:Original post by Dragon88
Also, can I code my own "bot control" function, so that i can gain control of my bot when i wish, I know something like this was brought up a while back, but I can''t find the thread. Being able to do this would be a wonderful debugging tool, but could be abused in the contest if someone''s bot can''t find the other, but the user grabs the controls and points it in the right direction.

(Stolen from Programmer One)
UNIX is an operating system, OS/2 is half an operating system, Windows is a shell, and DOS is a boot partition virus

Someone posted keyboard control for debugging your bot in an earlier thread. Just have the forums list all the threads, and I''m sure you can find it. I would not suggest having this code in there when you distribute your bot or for the contest entry, though..

Admin for GameDev.net.

How about if the .dll loads, on itialisation, some code off the web into memory and runs that. No rules are broken and you can''t tell what the code is! I would advise you sever all connections between your PC and the outside world during heats as well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement