Tricks of the game programmer gurus (question)

Started by
4 comments, last by pimple 20 years, 8 months ago
i found this book for 2 dollar at a local thrifty store, thinking i was getting the one book everyone loves... i then realized that you guys love the ''tricks of the WINDOWS game programmer gurus'' and not just the ''tricks of the GAME programmer gurus''... i noticed that both books were written by this andre laMothe dude (although there are five or so more people in the book i bought), though... the thing is that i''ve read the first two chapters, and it doesn''t talk about directX or anything... instead, it says how we need to take our 386, 486 and 586''s to the max, and that sort of didn''t sound right for some reason (i wonder why o_O)... it also uses tons of assembly, and that also didn''t look right. so here''s my question: should i even bother reading this 1000 page 1994 book, or should i try and get my two bucks back? btw, is assembly even used at all today in 2D game developing? (directly by the programmer that is) thanks a lot!
---Current project - Duck Hunt 2: Free at Last!http://www.duckhunt2.cjb.net
Advertisement
Wow, I remember this book, and what I remember of it was a good read. I think he talks a lot about game programming theory as well in this book, which isn''t out of date at any time. The basic structure of game is still the same today.

If your looking more towards current program examples though then you should get his more recent book. From memory as well though Tricks of the Windows talks mainly about DX7

Artix
Evil is Good
Wow, I remember this book, and what I remember of it was a good read. I think he talks a lot about game programming theory as well in this book, which isn''t out of date at any time. The basic structure of game is still the same today.

If your looking more towards current program examples though then you should get his more recent book. From memory as well though Tricks of the Windows talks mainly about DX7

Artix
Evil is Good
Sorry about the double post, no idea why that happened.
Evil is Good
It depends. You should probaly read it anyways. If you got it for that cheap, you are lucky. If you want DirectX, go get a book on it. If I were you, i would read it.

Scott Simontis
C++ Programmer
Scott SimontisMy political blog
well, two more weeks until school starts again... so i guess i''ll just read the book in the mean time, then.
thanks for the replies once again!

peace
---Current project - Duck Hunt 2: Free at Last!http://www.duckhunt2.cjb.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement