Bulding an operating system

Started by
40 comments, last by johnc82 20 years, 2 months ago
hi...... I wonder anyone here experince before building an operating system.....and by the way where can i find some resources about it? Thanks..
:-)
Advertisement
quote:Original post by johnc82
hi......

I wonder anyone here experince before building an operating system.....and by the way where can i find some resources about it?

Thanks..

I certainly have never done anything like that. Too big a project for me
And some resources right here : http://www.nondot.org/sabre/os/articles.
el
I think you should take a look at some source / documentation from a Open Source system to see how things are built. Linux might be an alternative.. :-)

But, this is a pretty complex task...

----------------------------------------------
Petter Nordlander

"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. The who understand binary and those who don''t"
----------------------------------------------Petter Nordlander"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. They who understand binary and those who do not"
Thanks for the reply....

however i wanted the OS to be build fully on assembly......
need more assembly tutorial..........
:-)
First, building an OS from scratch is an unbelievably immense task. The software alone would be incredibly complex, but then you also have to consider being compatible with all the types of PC hardware out there - this means also an writing an untold amount of drivers.

Second, why do you want it to be completely in assembly? Are you mad?

Why do you want to do this? What need cannot be fulfilled by Linux or Windows?

Regards,
Jeff

Edit: I'm not saying that all possible needs can be fulfilled by Linux or Windows, but I was just curious - it sounds like you're a one-man team with not much experience so I'm trying to understand why you want to do this? Is it purely for educational/hobby?

[edited by - rypyr on August 5, 2003 12:55:55 PM]
Why would you want it built in assembly?
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
Writing an OS is a task that requires much knowledge. Expect to spend many hours in a good academic library, learning about scheduling algorithms, page replacement algorithms, filesystem theory, implementation of efficient synchronization primitives, etc., etc., etc. It''s not a project to undertake if you don''t have a LOT of uninterrupted free time to work on it.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
Typically the OS loader is in assembly. The rest of the kernel is in some other language, usually C. C++ can be used as long as you understand the possible pitfalls, i.e. global objects needed to be initialized properly before main is called, you have to have a heap manager in place before doing any sort of allocations (i.e. no std library early on in the bootstrap), execptions can''t be used unless you are somehow able to figure out how to emulate the exception handling mechansim of the OS and/or compiler your compiler was originally written for, etc, etc.

-Mike
Building an entire OS from assembly would be like having to create all the bricks for the Great Wall of China, and then building it.
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The great logician Bertrand Russell once claimed that he could prove anything if given that 1+1=1. So one day, some fool asked him, "Ok. Prove that you're the Pope." He thought for a while and proclaimed, "I am one. The Pope is one. Therefore, the Pope and I are one."
Why do you want to build your own OS?

Just download Linux and modify it and call it Xinux. Simple.
Or hack into the M$ server and download Windows and call it Windows Pirated Edition.

WiseElben.com - Game programming tutorials, articles, and community.

E-mail:wiseelben@wiseelben.com
AIM: WiseElben

[edited by - GameDev Staff on September 27, 1989 9X:58:97 XMS] For violating Article 43 Page 456 Paragraph 251 Line .042

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement