Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DBridle

Morphing or something entirely different?

DBridle    122
Looking at most recent games that involve some type of character customization (star wars galaxies is a great example), there is a lot of emphasis on making the eyes and mouth change, adding different hair cuts, changing the build etc etc. I am trying to find out what kind of technologies are used to generate this effect. I first looked at morphing but soon realized this is not the way its done, perhaps deformation of some type? Any help would be great. - DBridle

JuNC    236
I would suspect it''s as simple as switching models. Attach a bunch of models together (e.g. hair, weapons, shoes) to form the character. Probably include different textures for each component too to add even more variety.

You can do this by having a bunch of ''tag points'' which would be animated along with the main character and would include a basis to orient the components (e.g. one attached to the arm for a weapon, with a ''z'' axis pointing along the barrel). This can be done with invisible triangles, explicitly or whatever.

(OT: hosting that demo for that guy was mega cool )

outRider    852
Look into hierarchies.

Attached to each character might be a bunch of sub-structures, which could use different meshes. Lets say guy 1 has torso A, legs C, head D, hair E. For different colors each substructure could also have some coloring information, hair could have an rgb color associated with it that the user can change in addition to using different meshes.

------------
- outRider -

DBridle    122
Thanks for responses, I have actually looked into hierarchies and it does look like a good solution.

Any example code about that I could look?

Thanks again,

DBridle