Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheProphet

Crappy striated textures

TheProphet    122
Hello, I have a texture problem. I have written a tool and there are some textures problems like this one : http://dgk.free.fr/ss0000.jpg http://dgk.free.fr/ss0001.jpg I think it is not really a problem, but just some bad options in OpenGL. Could someone help me ?

TheProphet    122
Well, I have tried to put the near plane far from the eye, and get the far plane closer. But the problem is still present... And puuting the zbuffer depth to 24 is quite embarrassing : many video cards cannot have a 24 bits depth buffer...

Thunder_Hawk    314
quote:
Original post by MButchers
...lessening the near clipping plane ( also try increasing the
far clipping plane ).

You managed to get both of those suggestions backwards

MaulingMonkey    1728
quote:
Original post by TheProphet
Well, I have tried to put the near plane far from the eye, and get the far plane closer. But the problem is still present... And puuting the zbuffer depth to 24 is quite embarrassing : many video cards cannot have a 24 bits depth buffer...

If yours does, however, trying this may help narrow down the possibilities (aka confirm it''s a z buffer fighting). And if the z buffers are the problem, then the solution is to change the zbuffer range (increase near clip distance, decrease far clip distance).

If you can''t do that however much needed, you could try doing multiple passes... and then there''s allways the glDepthFunc function you can try changing...

Also, you might try just editing the mesh so the edges aren''t as close together.

As for the doublesided geometry, might I suggest doing polygons that need to be doublesided twice if loading generic mesh files (in the mesh file itself), or enabling/disabling culling at the appropriate times if the data is, say, hardcoded?

This will both speed your render ( a plus ) and if it fixed your problem, that''s another plus.

What''s to lose?

Stonicus    157
Turning off back-faces is your best bet. Wherever in the model you need the backface, just manually add a new face there of opposite direction. A little more work, but it will be your best solution.