• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Esap1

Rotation Matrix, By Hand

This topic is 6541 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

lets say I got a class: class Matrix_class { float Matrix[4][4]; void TranslationMatrix(float x,float y,float z); void RotationMatrix(float Xa, float Ya,float Za); } Ive already written the TranslationMatrix() function(yes, I know, its simple, but Im still happy), but I need a little help with the rotation. The function should set Matrix, to a Rotation Matrix that takes in acount the Angles, Xa,Ya,Za. Thanks for the help(and I searched for similear posts, but never found one where they did it by hand). later,

Advertisement
And what about a MatrixMultiply() function, that would be compatible with OpenGL''s Matrices, anyone?

There's a lot of sin's cos's & some theta's & some phi's

in 2D i believe its
[ [cos(theta), 0]
[0, -sin(theta)] ]
though I may have every-which-thing reversed
Draw a picture, you do know trig right?

I cant seem to find my cg book at the moment, otherwise I'd have the 3D answer ...

Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on June 24, 2000 12:02:04 AM

I dont know enough trig to figure it out. Ill probaly be learning what I need this year in school(only a Freshmen, in Highschool). Ill try to figure it out, but if you could give me the full equation that would really help, thanks,

I have just figured out, its impossible for me, I dont understand cos, sin, enough, could someone at least help with that(I know 90% of the people on this board understand that). Thanks for any help you can give me

No trig eh? I suppose that means no linear algebra either?
I hope you like math

Here are the three Rotation matricies:

Rx
[1, 0, 0, 0]
[0, cos(theta), sin(theta), 0]
[0, -sin(theta), -cos(theta), 0]
[0, 0, 0, 1]

Ry
[cos(theta), 0, -sin(theta), 0]
[0, 1, 0, 0]
[-sin(theta), 0, cos(theta), 0]
[0, 0, 0, 1]

Rz
[cos(È), sin(È), 0, 0]
[-sin(È), cos(È), 0, 0]
[0, 0, 1, 0]
[0, 0, 0, 1]

the È's are about the respective axi

Do you know how to multiple matricies? hehe well atually, do you have a TI-92? Cause you (nor I) will not doing that by hand!

heheh it didnt take those Θ's very well did it? those are thetas...

Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on June 25, 2000 1:23:10 AM

The second before you wrote that I copied it out of a book I found, But it wouldnt work because I didnt convert it to degrees, STUPID ME, I just did Ya=Ya*(PI/180), and HAHA, It works, Im so happy. Now, would you write a function to multiply to 4x4 Matricies. Thanks for posting too.

Ok here we go:
(You know, there''s a reason why you don''t do this yourself )

a is about Rx
b is about Ry
c is about Rz
Rotate(a, b, c):

[cos(b)*cos(c), cos(b)*sin(c), -sin(b), 0]

[-cos(a)*sin(c)-sin(a)*sin(b)*cos(c), cos(a)*cos(c)-sin(a)*sin(b)*sin(c), sin(a)*cos(b), 0]

[cos(a)*sin(b)*cos(c)+sin(a)*sin(c), cos(a)*sin(b)*sin(c)-sin(a)*cos(c), -cos(a)*cos(b), 0]

[0, 0, 0, 1]

note that is is only one possible solution - there are many (all produce the same result, more or less)

well damn it, you couldn''t posted that few minutes earlier and saved me all that typing! ;-P

... a 4x4 multipler?

oh god... matrix math is hard
Do you know the row & column rules?

M1[nxb] * M2[bxm]
the b''s gotta be the same - but i guess you''re just gonna mult 4x4''s arent ya?

i is the row, j is the col

M3 = M1 * M2
M3[i,j] = Sum(M1[row i] * M2[col j])

for(int i=0;i<4;i++)
{
float sum =0;
for(int j=0;j<4;j++)
{
sum += M1[i,j] * M2[j,i]
}
M3[i,j] = sum;
}

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!