Level formats?

Started by
4 comments, last by Elite19 20 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I want to start working on a level editor and an engine at the same time, i want to be able to build my levels in my editor and load them straight into my engine. I''ve been searchin the net for ages looking for different model and level formats but things aren''t so clear. I really wanted to try build a bsp engine and use the quake3 level format but i tried out one of them bsp tuts on gametutorials and when i load the level it says Your graphic card doesn''t support Anthrisopic textures Sorry i cant spell it It''s strange cause i can play quake3 no problems on my comp Also I''m not sure which would be better, bsp or portal,Any advice? And does anyone know what the law is with model formats, is it legal to use md2 models for example? I suppose i just want some advice from people who may have tried doing this b4 or know a bit about it. Sorry, this started of as one question but it sort of grew Thanks for any info
--------------------------------------------------------------------- There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those who don't.
Advertisement
ID doesn''t care if you use their fileformats...as long as you don''t use any of the tools they made to make the files (without paying for a licence).

what about PAK files, what if I use the quake pak maker and use those PAK files in my game? IS J.C. gonna get me?
Since you''re anonymous - no :d

"Tonight we strike,there is thunder in the sky,together we''ll fight,some of us will die,but they''ll always remember that we''ve made a stand and many will die by hand!" - ManOwaR
quote:Original post by Elite19
I really wanted to try build a bsp engine and use the quake3 level format but i tried out one of them bsp tuts on gametutorials and when i load the level it says
Your graphic card doesn't support Anthrisopic textures
Sorry i cant spell it
It's strange cause i can play quake3 no problems on my comp
Also I'm not sure which would be better, bsp or portal,Any advice?
And does anyone know what the law is with model formats, is it legal to use md2 models for example?
I suppose i just want some advice from people who may have tried doing this b4 or know a bit about it.
Sorry, this started of as one question but it sort of grew
Thanks for any info

Anistropic texture filtering is just a different method of filtering. I'm sure Quake3 just simply uses linear or point if anistropic isn't available. It really shouldn't make a difference.

It's legal to use their format by the way. They can't claim rights to it. They can, however, claim rights to the models that are created using the format - so don't steel em' .

BSP or Portal? Why don't you just create your editor first. If you get that far, then we cant talk bsp or portal more. Making a 3D editor AND engine is a large project.

---
Brent Gunning | My Site

[edited by - RapidStunna on August 5, 2003 4:35:33 PM]
Thanks RapidStunna, I know its a big project but i''m determined to make it work. You know how you say start on the editor first, don''t you need to know what format your engine will use to know how to do the file output for the editor? Is there any info on the net about what goes into a level editor?
I have a basic app so far with only four viewports using win32 and opengl but i dont know what to do next.
--------------------------------------------------------------------- There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those who don't.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement