Worldcraft file formats

Started by
4 comments, last by AndreTheGiant 20 years, 8 months ago
Ive created a simple bsp engine and Im ready to start testing some more complex stuff than just 2 or 3 hardcoded polygons at a time. I used to make maps for half-life using Worldcraft, so i thought it would be a good idea to whip up a map in worldcraft, and then try to load it into my engine for testing. However, the main worldcraft site, www.worldcraft.com, seems to be dead, and i cant find where it went to. I remember worldcraft used to produce several files, including .rmf, .bsp, .map and others. I need to know which file has the raw polygon data, and i also need some details on what format it is in so that i can read it from the file into my program. Im sure there is lots of interesting stuff stored in those files, but for the moment, all i want is the polygon coordinates so that i dont have to hard code every test case i come up with. Can someone point me to some tutorials on Worldcraft file formats? Or if anyone has done something similar to this, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisement
http://collective.valve-erc.com is pretty much the homepage of the Hammer(formely Worldcrat), I''m pretty sure I''ve seen a specification of the .map format somewhere around there too... maybe even including a C sample parser Go ask in the forums.
.MAP files store the actual brushes, which can be intersected to create vertices and polygons.

.BSP files store the polygons and vertices, and everything else.

Try googling for Half-Life BSP file format.
also try wotsits file formats www.wotsit.org I believe

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

.map stores the raw data for the brushes, .bsp has ''em thrown into a BSP tree, CSG''d, and various other things, AFAIK.

This tutorial should be of considerable help for extracting polygon data from the .map files. Take a look at GameTutorials.com and various other places for info on loading + displaying the compiled .bsp files - might suit you better, depending on how your engine works.
thanks a whack everyone!

if anyone has any more info for me, keep it comin!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement