Blending Multiple Textures onto a Terrain

Started by
14 comments, last by jaymz 23 years, 9 months ago
Here's a little demo of my project (397 KB):

[update] There was a problem with the first demo I posted here, which is discussed below. I've fixed the issue with the stencil-buff, and I've also added a dialog box that lets you pick the screen mode for the demo.[/update]

hoverdemo_fixed.zip (313 KB):

Instructions for demo:

(1) Just extract everything and run the exe
(2) Pick a 3D device & screen mode -- my HAL was faster than my T&L HAL, btw
(3) arrows control yaw & pitch
(4) 'b' is go
(5) 'n' & 'm' control roll (rolling does nothing, though)

I would have made the map bigger except the culling isn't working yet: this map is about 110x80, which is roughly the size I hope to be able to render each frame.

You may get horrible frame rates... I've only tested this on my P733 + GeForce2 (~120fps fullscreen). In any case I went a little overboard on this terrain -- it's too 'busy' and so the LOD is forced too high everywhere.

Edited by - Eric on June 30, 2000 8:44:17 PM
Advertisement
I couldn''t get it to run, I got the following errors:
RenderTerrain()>DrawIndexedPrimitiveVB and
Render3dEnvironment Render failed

Do you have HWT&L flags only set? Thats about the quickest thing I can think of, since I tried it on a TnT2.

Sorry, I did a pretty half-ass job on the demo. I noticed this morning that I still have the stencil-buff requirement in my enumeration, because previously I was going to use that for shadows. Compounded with this is the fact that I request 16-bit color for full-screen... Stencil-buffs require 32-bit z-buffers, and I don''t think that combination is really supported.

By the way, jaymz, the RGB device should be able to run this thing... if you wanna seem some sweet 2 fps terrain, try disabling your video acceleration before running the exe
Tried that, same errors It might be me though, as I am using Dx8 beta...
I uploaded a new, fixed demo. The stencil-buff thing may not have been the problem in your case, jaymz, though at least the fixed version will now give the actual system error code for DrawIndexedPrimitiveVB() & other funcs. See my previous post for the download.

I hate to jump to the conclusion that the error you''re getting is due to your Dx8 Beta. On the other hand, others and I have been able to run the demo w/ the RGB device... it does kinda seem like the dx version is the only "variable" here. Anyway, I didn''t want this thread to get sidetracked on debugging my demo;
I started a
thread in "Announcements" about this, so if you, jaymz, or anyone else wants comment on it, that would be the more appropriate forum

I tried your new demo ....
i get 5 fps with my system:

PIII-450 ... Riva TNT2 ... desktop-reso ... 1024x768 32bit color ...

it ran in a window of 450x??? pixel ... i forgot ...

when i start it again now i dont see the landscape any more ... dont know why ... it just worked first time i started it

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement