Design Patterns book...

Started by
9 comments, last by SpaceRogue 20 years, 8 months ago
I''ve heard this is an important book to read, and I almost purchased it the other day. However, something stopped me. I noticed it is quite old (as programming books go) and wondered if it hadn''t been superseded by anything newer. How useful/up-to-date/unique is this book, exactly?
Advertisement
Useful: reasonably
Up-to-date: no idea, pretty sure most of the underlying ideas haven''t changed a huge amount
Unique: it has a nice cover..

This book is not gospel. It is mainly a fix to ''flaws'' in C++ to give nice dynamic or static properties to code. Other languages solve these issues much more cleanly. If you''re pure C++ developer then it''s probably a ''must get'' book.
Looks like I''ll get it then. I don''t see myself using anything other than C++ for awhile.
quote:Original post by JuNC
This book is not gospel. It is mainly a fix to ''flaws'' in C++ to give nice dynamic or static properties to code.

Interesting then that a lot of the patterns originated in Smalltalk.

AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
quote:Original post by Arild Fines
quote:Original post by JuNC
This book is not gospel. It is mainly a fix to ''flaws'' in C++ to give nice dynamic or static properties to code.

Interesting then that a lot of the patterns originated in Smalltalk.

<hr />
<a href="http://ankhsvn.tigris.org" nonostyle="quote">AnkhSVN</a> - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.

*yawn*
Design Patterns
by Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, John Vlissides
(1995)

Are you talking about this book?
Yes, that''s the book.
quote:Original post by SpaceRogue
I''ve heard this is an important book to read, and I almost purchased it the other day. However, something stopped me. I noticed it is quite old (as programming books go) and wondered if it hadn''t been superseded by anything newer. How useful/up-to-date/unique is this book, exactly?

Concept based books don''t go out of date. Look at all the XML books in the same area and see how many of those are around in 3 years. The Patterns book is more about design rather than implementation, which what makes it so good.
Thanks, I understand that it is primarily a design book. I was just concerned that some changes in C++ over the last eight years might make the examples a bit outdated and perhaps better demonstrated in a newer book. I''ve decided to get it regardless.
The code examples in the book aren''t really relevant as they are only there to facilitate the explanation of the pattern by giving a code sample. The patterns are purely patterns of design, not code. So it really matters not what language you program in, for if you are interested in program design you''ll find the book useful.

Its not a book to just ''read'', cover to cover. There''s a website that suggests a way to study the book, and the order in which to tackle the patterns which may be useful to you:

http://www.industriallogic.com/papers/learning.html

Caroline M.
Caroline M

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement