Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mathfeel

reading file from 3D program

this has probably been asked before: how do I use 3D models created in say 3d studio or maya (maybe I can export to some more common format?) in openGL? Is there a library to read polygons from these files?

Look into Milkshape 3d. It is a basic 3d model and skeletal animation program, but the trial is free for 30 days and can import and export a very large amount of filetypes. I''m not sure if they do Maya or 3D studio, but you should check it out. There is a lot of code, even here, on how to use the Quake II format that Milkshape can export to.

"Donkey, if it were me, you''d be dead."
I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniute.

I think you misunderstand my question...I have already 3d studio. But I want to use its file...I mean, how do you draw a car using openGL? but I want to know how to import the 3dstudio files into my openGL program

I understood your question, I was just saying that you could use Milkshape just to change the format of your file to one a bit more documented. The Quake II format is used in many games, and is easy to use because so many people have written code to use the format.

"Donkey, if it were me, you''d be dead."
I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniute.

quote:

Is there tutorial on how to handle Quake II right here on this great website?

There used to be in the game tutorials section, but its been taken down by request of the author.

There is a tutorial here though.

Hyperdev

"To err is human, to really mess up requires a computer"

There are tutorials for this at pretty much any good OpenGL tutorial site, and there is a really good chunk of code in the "OpenGL Game Programming" book. Like it has already been said, check out GAMETUTORIALS , they've got a bunch of tutorials on how to load in a number of 3d formats.

[edited by - duncanbojangles on August 6, 2003 12:26:47 AM]

I guess the question now become this:
is there place (website, book, etc) that have the spec. of each format? I mean, these tutorial doesn''t seem to extract all the information (say in a .3ds file). I am just asking this more on curiousity than practicality